What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weeping Fuel Sender

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Good Morning! Looking for advice ..

I had a slight fuel smell in the cockpit last few times I opened it up ... tracked it down to a very slightly weeping fuel sender bolt.

My goal is to fix it without taking the entire fuel sender out.

My plan is to get the fuel below the sender, remove the weeping bolt, clean everything with alcohol, coat it with copious amounts of proseal, and re-install with fingers crossed.

Thoughts? :eek:

Do you have a gasket? There is nothing wrong with what you want to try, but if there is a gasket then your problem could be more than just a weeping bolt.
Whatevey your approach, please fix it ASAP. The vapors form 100LL will accumulate in the wing root and deteriorate the proseal in that area, turning it all to gooe. I would drain the thank and remove the cover until the repair is complete.

Do you have a gasket? There is nothing wrong with what you want to try, but if there is a gasket then your problem could be more than just a weeping bolt.
Whatevey your approach, please fix it ASAP. The vapors form 100LL will accumulate in the wing root and deteriorate the proseal in that area, turning it all to gooe. I would drain the thank and remove the cover until the repair is complete.

Thanks! Waiting for the proseal to get here (Tuesday) ... but curious, why would vapors deteriorate proseal? There are vapors in the fuel tank above the fuel line and the entire fuel tank is sealed with proseal?

Last edited:
Leaking sender bolt

I had the same problem about two years ago. I did exactly as you planned, just removed the bolt. I'm pretty sure I read a thread here on the issue, and a poster suggested a sealant available at an automotive parts store. I used that and not proseal, worked perfectly and dry since. I was surprised how easy it all went.

John Koonce
RV 10
N78MU

Problem solved

Just fly the tank dry and you'll be guaranteed to have no fuel in the area
Clean any crud first then reclean with spray can of degreaser/brake cleaner/ether or what ever your pleasure is. Re-proseal hole/screw and you'll probably be done.
Art

leaky sender bolt

McFarlane sells fuel transmitter screw/seal assemblies used with thier replacement fuel transmitters for Cessna and Piper aircraft. The screws come with a high quality viton rubber Stat-O-Seal. A Stat-O-Seal is basically a washer with a o-ring molded to the inner hole. The metal washer takes the compressive load of the tightened screw while the 0-ring portion provides an effective seal between the screw and transmitter.

p/n MC1802 is meant for Piper aircraft and feature a slotted screw head and have safety wire holes.

MCS35010R10 and MCS35010R14 are meant for Cessna aircraft and are made of stainless steel and have a hex drive.

McFarlane also has fuel transmitter gaskets made of Viton rubber which is a premium aerospace elastomer. The hole pattern in the transmitters is a Industry standard and will fit.

Back