What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Surefly magcheck issue on EIS4000

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I've just replaced one slick mag for a Surefly EI. On magcheck, I'm gettng a zero reading for the EI. I'm currently using dual 27k resistors on my magcheck switch.
Before I start replacing that resistor, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has solved this.

How does your tach work? I have the same issue with my lightspeed ignition. Mine measured RPM off the electronic ignition, so when I turn it off the rpm drops to zero.

How does your tach work? I have the same issue with my lightspeed ignition. Mine measured RPM off the electronic ignition, so when I turn it off the rpm drops to zero.
I have separate wires running from each p-lead with a 27k resistor to a toggle switch. This enables me to get individual readings sent to the EIS. When switched to the EI, it's now reading zero. Surefly suggests a 18k resistor or less. If someone has done this, it will prevent me from swapping one out until I get the proper one.

I've just replaced one slick mag for a Surefly EI. On magcheck, I'm gettng a zero reading for the EI. I'm currently using dual 27k resistors on my magcheck switch.
Before I start replacing that resistor, I thought I'd check to see if anyone else has solved this.

Your EIS needs a large resistor to safely catch a pulse off the the coil of the mag. However, most any EI will send a nice 12 volt square wave tach signal and therefore no resistor should be used between it and the EIS. I would guess that the surefly provides a traditional tach signal (12 volt pulse) and a 30K resistor will make it unreadable for the EIS. There simply won't be enough current left for the EIS to pick it up. However, being a certified replacement, it is possible that they are trying to emulate a traditional mag signal, though I doubt it.

Larry

Last edited:
EIS

I also have a Lightspeed ignition on one side and a mag on the other. I have a resistor on the mag but not one on the Lightspeed. I had a switch like Dan to allow either ignition to display on the EIS on my EFIS.

I upgraded to the remote EIS R66 last year. The remote EIS allows me to configure all the settings in my GRT EFIS and has two tach inputs so it no longer requires a switch. My understanding is the newer EIS 4000 also has two tach inputs.

I also have a Lightspeed ignition on one side and a mag on the other. I have a resistor on the mag but not one on the Lightspeed. I had a switch like Dan to allow either ignition to display on the EIS on my EFIS.

I upgraded to the remote EIS R66 last year. The remote EIS allows me to configure all the settings in my GRT EFIS and has two tach inputs so it no longer requires a switch. My understanding is the newer EIS 4000 also has two tach inputs.

That's interesting. My EIS 4000 had two tach inputs. Didn't realize there was an older version with only one.

Larry

That's interesting. My EIS 4000 had two tach inputs. Didn't realize there was an older version with only one.

Larry

Yes. I spoke with GRT & they stated the newer models DO have 2 inputs.
Mine is a 2005 model, which at that time, only provided a single input.

Looks like my first attempt will be to bypass the resistor completely.
Thanks for the info.

I'll update this this thread & inform GRT & Surefly, so they can update their docs.

The better alternative would be to purchase the magnetic sensor that screws into the vent plug hole in the magneto body. This sensor uses the spinning magneto gear teeth to provide an output to the EIS. The beauty of this sensor is that it provides that RPM signal even when the P-lead is grounded.

The sensor I use is from Advanced Flight Systems. I know other vendors also supply similar sensors. Dead-easy to install and doesn't have anything to do with the very noisy P-lead signal - no resistors, nada. Power, ground and signal, that's it.

SureFly Tach

Before you remove the resistor, check the Sure Fly faqs on their website. The tach output is not a typical EIS output. The description of the signal is like that of a typical mag. The bias voltage on the 60 volt pulse is probably causing the problem with the GRT EIS. It?s the tenth entry down in the list.

Before you remove the resistor, check the Sure Fly faqs on their website. The tach output is not a typical EIS output. The description of the signal is like that of a typical mag. The bias voltage on the 60 volt pulse is probably causing the problem with the GRT EIS. It’s the tenth entry down in the list.

Yes. And further down the list, it calls out a 18k resistor. They recommended starting there and descending until I get a good read.

Thank you all for your feedback & suggestions.

Last edited:
In my experience, there is no way the GRT 4000 will read the tach signal from the Surefly. I changed the 27k resistor to an 18k. Did not work. Then tried the connection with no resistor. Did not work.

One option to restore Tach 1 is to do as Canadian_ Joy suggested in Post 10, and install a magnetic pickup tach sender on the remaining Slick magneto. The other option is to install Van's VTACHGEN2 (or12) to the engine tach drive.

Best regards,

Merrill

p.s. GRT and Surefly have both been advised.

Last edited:
I just completed an upgrade on my RV4, including a SureFly replacing my left mag. I have a UMA T1A9 tach sender left over from a dual Pmag upgrade on my last airplane. I installed this on my right mag, so I will have a tach signal regardless what mag is selected. As previously stated, the signal is read directly by the EIS - one pulse per rev.

Back