What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I Must Need a Shrink

Scott Chastain

Show me your ways, Lord;
Teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
For you are the God of my salvation;
On you I wait all the day.

Psalm 25:4-5

Last edited:
I know what you mean! My AB-DAR is tentatively next week as well and I just did transition training with Mike Seager. I'm down to the short list of things to do and then it's time to fly. Maybe I'm going to actually have to clean up the shop! :D

Builder's Withdrawl

Usually cleared up by delayed huney-doo projects, lots of stick time, or maybe even repeat offending..........

Take two clecos and call me in the morning. I think you will be just fine. That is a great looking plane!

I've no experinece with this...

But I think it is called "post partum depression". Purely conjecture on my part but I'll bet the cure is to fly it! Beautiful airplane!

Scott, let me relay to you based on very recent experience................If I would have actually known just how much fun flying the airplane was going to be......I would have finished it A LOT sooner. Hum, I do catch myself looking at "projects for sale"...guess I didn't help did I?:rolleyes:

Have fun and fly it, you'll love it everytime you strap it on!! Beautiful airplane.

Hey Scott

That is a sweet looking airplane my man. Wow! I am impressed. Your going to have a lot of fun with that baby

Russel McNeil
South Carolina

post build symptoms

Hi,

I get it.... there was about 2 weeks where I was finishing up, doing bits and getting ready for the flight - it was slightly sureal, all the 'spare time'. Even on the actual day it got very much a point of 'nothing left for me to use as an excuse to not go flying' :). Looking back a small gap and chance to take a breath is a REALLY good thing - a few proper nights sleep and dreaming / 'flying' that flight so many times.

During the flight testing period it was all still pretty full on, tweak / work on plane, fly, test, write up notes etc, repeat. Something that is strange now I've 'finished' testing, paperwork is with CAA and I've been grounded (until new paperwork is issued) for 10+ days.... I'm starting to go a bit mad.....

First sign is I start checking VAF more frequently, but then there is only one or two 'new posts' each time :p

In closing - I think I understand what you are trying to describe, but I try to not see it as a 'horrible feeling' just a case of a big hole / gap that needs to have a new stimulus in - I'm not sure if it is going to be electronics, APRS, cooling mods, software widgets or what - but something will come along.

Strange creatures are flyers of aircraft that they built. I hope she flies as great as she looks, be safe,

Carl

PS: The first flight is better than the dreams, and it seems to keep getting better :D

Scott,......

........it can't be a "Descending" dove until after the "Ascent":D

With that said, be sure and ask in advance for a Phase one minimum area of at least 40-50 mile square/radius from your DAR, since you're going to be haulin' a$$, covering over 3 miles a minute in your "box". 40 hours is a long time in a small, confined airspace.

Congratulations,

........it can't be a "Descending" dove until after the "Ascent":D

With that said, be sure and ask in advance for a Phase one minimum area of at least 40-50 mile square/radius from your DAR, since you're going to be haulin' a$$, covering over 3 miles a minute in your "box". 40 hours is a long time in a small, confined airspace.

Congratulations,

Can it be a long skinny box or does it have to be round or more square?

Building Blues

Scott,
I found myself in the same situation after finishing my KR-2 several years ago. Fortunetly, I had planned on building an RV-7 which is now is so close to being finished I'm starting to get the builder blues again. The RV has filled that void. I'm planning on building another experimental, but I've just not decided at this pointwhich one. I just know that building is therapeutic, fun and satisfying for me. I'm blessed with a wife that puts up with my many hours in the garage. I'd find another flying project. I hope this helps.
Charlie Reeves, RV-7 - N352CR
Tucson AZ

beautiful airplane....

no ...yu don.t need a shrink....yu may have! ..when yu started the project??....and during the difficult times...but you.ve succeeded!!...go fly scott....well done.....stanman..

I had the same problem. I love to fly my 7 but I'm bored to tears when not flying. The cure is coming this Friday when the truck pulls up with my Turbine Cubs Super Cub kit. I can't wait to dig in and build. I feel better already. Very nice airplane Scott. Don

Yup, you've been bit!!! I will be starting my 7th aircraft soon so I can tell you it doesn't get any better. Your beautiful aircraft will fly perfectly but you will find youself digging through all the magazines, websites etc. to see what is available. Looking for something that tickles your fancy and then sorting out what you really want is a lot of fun but building is a great reward. Some build only once and then fly the heck out of the aircraft. I kinda think you are in the second group, lots of fun to fly but even more fun to build. Good luck on the next project!
John Foy
T-18, Scamp,Vari-eze,Durand MK V, RV 6, RV 8

Scott,
The plane is beautiful. I feel closer to your project than most as you ask me many questions during her construction.

People will ask you about building her: how long did it take, what was the worst part, what was the best part, etc. I have always tried to express how much fun building the Doll was. I tell people that when the Doll was finished, I experienced a feeling like the 26 of December. All the pretty boxes have been unwrapped, and it's time to take down the tree. I don't know about you, but I get a little blue, and miss all the lighted homes and stores. I was blue when I looked at my empty shop. Building the Doll had become the center of my life. I would lay awake in bed, in the middle of the night, and plan what I would accomplish the next day. I had to resist the urge to get up, and go out to the shop. The Doll is finished, what now?

Don't worry, flying the RV-8 is such a joy, that the famous RV grin is not just for the first flight. It's for every flight. After a couple thousand hours flying the White Rocket (Northrop T-38 Talon), and fifteen thousand hours flying airliners you would think I'd be jaded, and flying an RV would be ho-hum. Let me assure you that it's not! You are in for a real treat. It will be a one of a kind experience that you will always remember. There will be bugs in your new airplane. During the test period, you will be busy chasing down small problems. Eventually, you will simply go to your hanger, strap on your beauty and fly. You will return her to the hanger and drive home with nothing to fix, adjust, or repair. Your RV will prove to be a very reliable aircraft. Like the rest of us that have completed and flown our RVs, you will find it difficult to convey to builders, still pounding rivets, just how much all the effort is worth.

Be sure to share your early flying experiences in your beautiful 8 with the rest of us. Well done!

Last edited:
Awesome!

Scott,
I do not have any diagnosis on your complaint, but I am sure that I know the cure! Once that RV hits the fly-in circuit and the public gets a chance to take it in, you will be too busy saying "thanks" to all who wish to tell you what an awesome build you have done. Make sure you keep a clean rag handy, because everyone will want to lay hands upon your plane in hopes that some of the mojo can be taken to their own plane!
Your paint scheme is obviously based on WWII invasion markings (mustang?). Did you use a particular aircraft as an example?
I am just up the road at Jackson Westover and I look forward to seeing your plane, soon!

Scott, I feel your pain , I have just started phase 1 . I now have 8 hours on my -8. It is more fun than I imagined what a rush with every flight . BUT going out to my shop and not seeing the airplane and havening another challenge to work through is somewhat depressing . There are still little things to fix and change and I still have to do wheel pants and fairings but the big part of the build is done. My wife says don't worry there are many things that you have putt off that will keep you busy ( she doesn't understand) . There will be another build project I haven't decided what it will be yet . Hope you get a bigger fly zone than I did I have 25 mile restriction for 40 hrs .

I felt the exact same way. There is only one thing to do: Order a tail kit. It solved my problem.

Scott, you have all the earmarks of the serial builder, that rare breed of insane builder who dreams of metal shavings instead of super models. You are apparently not alone. This not-so-rare form of insanity seemingly strikes half the people in the amature A/C building fraternity.

You are either doomed to a long string of affairs with never ending projects, or, to make life easy on you, I can loan you my Luscombe and you can while away your free time POLISHING this thing until you never want to look at the inside of a hanger/garage again. :D

Then again, building may be a cheaper form of entertainment then flying right now. lol. With fuel over $5.25 around here...I gotta wonder why I am going from 4 gph to 10 gph!

Love the paint by the way. Almost tempted to repaint the 8 in a similar fashion.

Wow... your -8 is beautiful - a real work of art! And I'm sure it was a joy to build. But I'm going to be ordering my first kit this fall and from my point of view, though the build seems like it will be fun, it seems like it will be so long. I have ridden in an RV-8 and I can't wait to have one finished and flying. Yes, I must learn patience.

Beautiful airplane - I'm jealous! Sooner or later you're going to have to scratch that itch and order another tail kit.

My wife nearly threw a hot frying pan at me last night, my wing kit is arriving day after tomorrow and I told her I had already decided on the "next" airplane I'm building when this one is done...:D

ps -that'll be a Harmon (or maybe F1) Rocket...

Really looks like fine work....I really really like the paint scheme. How was the nose art done???
While you are grinning in flight, maybe you will forget about the empty garage.....otherwise, sounds like you may end up being a "repeat-offender" and build another.

Some of us just like the building you know!

One good thing is that once you get the time flown of you can start making changes;)

Seriously, I have been flying for 2.5 years, and I still miss the building, but sure do enjoy the flying. I may work on a Hatz, or who knows!

I'd say you are perfectly normal to me.

Did I mention that I love your paint shceme.

Scott, Nice plane, like the colors, The Cure .....Fly, then keep flying, practice landings, takes trips with your RV buddies and family. Don't worry thiere is still more stuff to do on the plane.
And help other builders, we all learn alot in building so its nice to share

And if all else fails .....build another
Peter Cavallo RV6.2 at SZP, CA

building blues

Hey Scott, I can't imagine but if its really bothering you I can help
My best buddy and tech advisor on my RV8A was killed a year ago(Harmon Rocket)I have not been able to do hardly anything since and its really getting to me too. I need help to get me goin again and you want to build soooo ...... well just might work. Tryin to get goin in Bakersfield Al
[email protected]

I believe the cure for your condition is to write another check to Van's. Not an entirely bad deal to have one in flight condition and one in the works :)

Cheers!

builder withdrawl

Scott, feel your pain.. Been there 6 times. I know the cure, but might be getting to old to to take on another project. I am your neighbor in Visalia and have been hearing about the paint and plane. The statement usually starts with, "did you see that beautiful RV8 painted in military colors?" I will be flying my new XB51(RV8) to Osh on friday and will be joining up with some friends in Provo. Welcome to join us. Call me on the cell if interested (559-972-6291) Rod

Scott - great job, a terrific accomplishment!

The title of your thread reminds me of a story I learned in college which may answer the question you asked. I remember it more because of the irony than because of the almost self-evident truth it contained. Sorry it's a bit long, but it is funnier that way....

Once upon a time (kidding, this is a true story) there was a Psychologist who performed a nearly life-long experiment. In this experiment, he was studying only two single things. The first he called the physical life-line, a set of measures designed to show the relative health of the person over 20-30 years. As you might expect, his measure peaked out in late adolescence and gradually declined over time, then towards the end on average there was a turning point steeply downward followed by death. Now, by itself this measure seems meaningless and self-evident.

The next thing he measured was a little more interesting. He called it the Life-goal line. This measure used a series of questions to evaluate how each person in the study was setting and actively working towards short, medium, and long term goals. Again, as you can imagine, the line started low in children (not good at self-directing their goals); became strongest during their most productive years; and declined later in life - but NOT ALWAYS.

This man wrote a book in which he discussed his experiment in detail, and part of that book is presented in virtually every introductory psychology class today. In that book he presents an astonishing piece of information. You see, he took the two charts for each persons life and plotted them on a single graph - and the evidence was inescapable. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the life-goal line did not FOLLOW the physical life-line, it PRECEDED it. In hundreds of cases across decades of study, the results were almost 100% accurate. In cases where people had been deathly ill but became impassioned with a new goal in their life, miraculous recovery often occurred. In those who had mild physical decline and then gave up pursuit of their goals, death followed swiftly.

He further identified two basic groups of people branching at mid-life. He noticed that around mid-life, most people step back from themselves and evaluate their lives to date. Some said to themselves, "Hey, I've pretty much done everything I ever wanted!" Others said, "Hmmm, pretty much looks like I'm never going to get all the things I wanted."

Do you think that observation was important? If you said "yes," you are in the majority - and you are dead wrong. It was WHAT THEY DECIDED AFTER THIS that determined the remaining nature of their lives.

You see, it doesn't seem to matter whether or not we attain the goals we set for ourselves. What matters is what we decide next. Those who "had it all" and said to themselves, "I'm done! I'm retiring" - this group's goal-line turned sharply downward, and their physical health followed shortly thereafter. Similarly, those who had never attained their dreams and then said, "There is no point trying, I'll never succeed," also perished in short order.

The other two groups made different decisions. For those who had attained their goals, they sat down and did some serious thinking about, "Ok, what do I do next? I know, I'll ...xxx yyy zzz" Those who fell short of their early goals but said, "you know what, I set my sights to high. Instead, I'm going to ... xxx yyy zzzz" Both of these groups led happy and productive lives SO LONG AS THEY KEPT SETTING AND PURSUING THEIR GOALS. Yes, of course our physical bodies surrender at some point, but the difference in lifespans was DECADES, not WEEKS.

The point is, we have a great deal of choice about how long we are in this world. If you love building aircraft, I recommend you build another. Some of us don't have time or the inclination to build, and will be blessed with what you create.

Oh, by the way...

I mentioned that this psychologist was taught in every elementary psych class. Do you think they mention the importance of his life's work? If you said "Yes," you are dead wrong!

In attempting to analyze how people prioritized their goal setting, he grouped goals he had analyzed into rough groupings as a way of helping him understand the basic mind-set of his subjects. He realized that some goals are very basic to survival, while some were quite complex - but that so long as someone had not met their needs at the most basic level they had little time to think about the more complex goals. Thus, in ONE CHAPTER of this book of his life's work he slapped together this little picture that represented how his groupings of goal-types related to each other, some depending on others. His diagram was in the shape of a Pyramid, and since it was about the only original-looking diagram in the book students pounced on it as, "Abraham Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs."

Maslow reportedly hated that this was what people took away from his life's work, just as the famous physicist Schroedinger hated the cat thing...

:)

Join AA...

But I think it is called "post partum depression". Purely conjecture on my part but I'll bet the cure is to fly it! Beautiful airplane!

No, I think it is "Post Painting Depression."

It can only be cured by joining AA (Aluminum Anonymous).:D
"Hi, my name is Scott and I'm an Alumiholic."

Back