What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E/P Mag & VPX Question

ConAgraPilot

Ok I have finished my wings and the fuselage is ordered. Now I have some downtime to do some future planning. I'm planning on the fuselage build to go fairly fast with the time I will have to work on it. My question is for you guys that have some combo of E/P Mags, one of each or two of the same, and running with the Vertical Power system. I'm planning on toggle switches instead of the standard keyed switch (just my personal preference). Reading on the emagair.com site that you will need either a switchable breaker or a breaker and a switch just for the testing of the system, which means I would have 4 switches. So can you do this breaker function within the VPX system by a soft key on a system like Dynon Skyview? It seams like you could use a "virtual" pull of a breaker in the VPX interface, but I'm new to that system and just learning. I searched the forum but couldn't find this answer, I'm sure its there, I just could find it so forgive me if I missed it!

Thanks for any info!

Michael

Michael,

You can wire it as Vertical Power shows it in their installation manual (download at their website), or you can (as I did) choose to wire it outside of the VPX system through ATC type fuses using a Bussman fuse holder. Only the wires that provide the power to the PMags need to be fused. I have four toggle switches in my set up (two for power, two for enabling the PMag), but I'm sure there are more complicated setups that use fewer switches.

Thanks for the reply Mark, I didn't think about downloading their manual, I'm doing that now. So you went with the switch/breaker(fuse for you) route is the way Im reading that. I have found that electrical is my week area! Thanks again!
Michael

BTW, the E-mags were discontinued some time ago. All they sell are the 114 series P-mags.

I don't have dedicated switches to test the P-mags self-powering feature. You can easily do the preflight test from the VP-X screen on the Dynon Skyview. Just select ENGINE page, then VP-X, scroll down to the P-Mag L and R items and use the ON/OFF buttons on the display to check the self powering ability. I also have a regular L/R/Start keyswitch for checking the grounding of the Mags.

I don't have dedicated switches to test the P-mags self-powering feature. You can easily do the preflight test from the VP-X screen on the Dynon Skyview. Just select ENGINE page, then VP-X, scroll down to the P-Mag L and R items and use the ON/OFF buttons on the display to check the self powering ability. I also have a regular L/R/Start keyswitch for checking the grounding of the Mags.

That sounds very complicated. How often do you test yours?

Even with the EICommander installed, the only way I could tell one of my P-mag's internal generators failed was during a preflight were I pulled the power.

Back