What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temporary Seats RV-8?

phapp

Patron
I would like to spend some time actually flying (Phase 1) and figuring out the ergonomics before I order nice seats. Can anyone suggest some inexpensive cushions (just for the pilot seat) they've used that would work? Boat cushions? Outdoor furniture cushions? I know they won't be fire resistant and they will need to be securely fastened.

I will want several of various sizes and thickness to work out exactly what I'll want for the permanent seats. Just sitting in the cockpit is not the same as flying for hours and comfort is paramount to reduce fatigue.

Thanks for any proven solutions or suggestions.

Problem with most 'generic' cushions is they won't give you the right stiffness that you will experience sitting on with proper fitted seats such as Aero Classics (or others). Their bases are built up with fairly stiff foam (Temper Foam) that is designed to crush if you are in an accident.
You could build up temporary seating (ground use only) with rigid foam insulation sheeting to try to define your seating position / sight lines, but it would definitely not be recommended to fly with them. You would be greatly compromising your safety factor if you did.

Temporary Seats.

Foam from pads for camping, multiple layers. Auto Zone universal seat covers or universal sheepskin covers.

I flew without any cushion in my rv 4 in the beginning. Then carved some styrofoam. Easy Peasy if feet and hand reach controls your ok then improve with time. Your never finished with a home built or hot rod

Are you planing on wearing a parachute for phase 1 testing? If yes and you can find a seat one you don’t need anything else.

Oliver

been using garden knee pads, firm foam, cheap and works pretty good wether under or/and behind oneself...

Cheap seats

When I finished my 8 i was on the fence about seats . I ordered some “cheap seats “ from Flight line interiors . I figured I could sell them when I decided on what I wanted .......that was 5 years and 300 hours ago , still using them .

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't see any Flight Line Interiors "cheap seats". They look really nice. I will definitely check them out for interiors and carpet when that time comes.

Bear mind when the time comes...most of the aircraft interior companies have pretty substantial ordering backlogs. The foam is crushed in my current 10 year-old Flightline seats and I elected to replace them with some new Flightline seats. Abby told me that an order placed today would be delivered in March or April. My seats are a little uncomfortable with their expired foam, but they're usable so the long lead time isn't overly problematic. Over the years I've been flying I've come to expect small plane aircraft seating to be generally rudimentary.

Last edited:
I didn't fly this configuration, but used a stack of material to simulate seat cushion thickness before I bought the interior for the -6.

You *might* carve yourself a layer of foam and lay it over a stackup of corrugated cardboard (to provide "crush", just in case) or a stackup of some other material cut to fit the seat pan and around the stick cutout. Hold the cardboard layers together with a wrap of duct tape and we're talking some serious redneck seats.

Bear mind when the time comes...most of the aircraft interior companies have pretty substantial ordering backlogs. The foam is crushed in my current 10 year-old Flightline seats and I elected to replace them with some new Flightline seats. Abby told me that an order placed today would be delivered in March or April. My seats are a little uncomfortable with their expired foam, but they're usable so the long lead time isn't overly problematic. Over the years I've been flying I've come to expect small plane aircraft seating to be generally rudimentary.

Comfor foam/temper foam does "crush" over time. When my -6 seats began to "settle", I found that the garden knee pads placed under the seat cushions helped until I could replace them.

Last edited:
Comfor foam/temper foam does "crush" over time. When my -6 seats began to "settle", I found that the garden knee pads placed under the seats helped until I could replace them.

From what I read, 5-6 years is about the max lifespan of memory foam before it crushes. The thing I find annoying is that the bottom seat cushion tilts me inward toward the center. Inexplicably, the other seat tilts me in the same direction (floor is level).

The knee-pad thing is a great idea. Thanks.

From what I read, 5-6 years is about the max lifespan of memory foam before it crushes. The thing I find annoying is that the bottom seat cushion tilts me inward toward the center. Inexplicably, the other seat tilts me in the same direction (floor is level).

The knee-pad thing is a great idea. Thanks.

I typically get about 8 years, but that is directly dependent on how much you fly.

Back