What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Convert to IFR pitfalls ...

So, I'm going to buy an RV - don't know which one yet ...
Returning to flying after 18 years, I'm familiar with what steam gauges I need BUT I see many VFR airplanes without them, or with just a couple, and wonder if some "glass" displays may not be approved for IFR, meaning major conversion costs?
How should I navigate these waters?

Devices are generally not "approved" (or not) for instrument flight operations, however an aircraft must be IFR equipped. The meaning of that hasn't changed that much, if at all, in 20 years. There are some new precision approaches, and you'll want a WAAS GPS for those, because you need a WAAS GPS source to meet the ADS-B mandate anyway.

You still need GRABCARD for IFR ops...

Generator or Alternator.
Radio/Navigation Appropriate For Flight.
Attitude Indicator.
Ball (Inclinometer)
Clock.
Altimeter (Pressure Sensitive)
Rate of Turn Indicator.
Directional Gyro.

Nothin' fancy. All of that is in fact generally integrated into modern glass PFDs. You want the new stuff anyway. It makes things safer, and generally reduces workload.

Last edited:
Just about any glass manufacturer will have their version of the ARINC-429 device, which will take the output from your certified IFR navigator and display the results on the glass screen, and drive the autopilot if equipped.

Back