-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:38 AM

I suspect some issues with the primer, perhaps for sitting that long or temp that it was kept. In my experience even somewhat poorly prepped piece sprayed, it would not flake off that easy.
My prep involves scuffing it with a maroon scotch brite, wash it with soap in somewhat warm water and then clean it with acetone. when sprayed is rock hard. I have had overspray on parts/area that had no prep done, dirty and probably somewhat oily and yet I have to work it to get it clean.
Dues paid
Old 06-02-2021, 08:26 AM

I have been following wirejock's recommendation (thanks, Larry) to clean with Bon Ami and a gray Scotch-Brite pad, making sure everything looks scuffed and I get a good water break test, and priming as soon as possible after the part dries. I've been getting good results with AkzoNobel 10P4-2NF. Once the 10P4-2NF fully cures, you can wipe it with acetone or MEK and just get a little green tint on the rag. After it cures, it passes the tape pulloff test, even using aluminum foil tape, which is a test suggested by Master Aircraft Services in Wickenburg, AZ. Dimpling doesn't remove it either.

Bon Ami and PreKote have about the same pH, FWIW. PreKote is a somewhat stronger base. I tried it a while back, and the results didn't seem to be as good as what I get with Bon Ami. But there may have been other factors involved.

Last edited by CF86301 : 06-02-2021 at 08:39 AM.