What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show Planes 13 row oil cooler / Inverted oil

efitzgerald

I finally got my engine hung and I am laying out components.

I purchased a 13 row oil cooler mount from Show Planes and the 20006A cooler from Vans.

Has anyone used one of these with an inverted oil system (full Raven system)?

I believe that the inverted oil system has to be installed on the right side of the engine and it does not look like there will be enough space with the oil cooler mounted there.

I know that the other option is the RV-10 firewall mount. Or I could sell the mount and cooler and go with the standard setup. Originally I had one of the Superior 382s and I was concerned that high oil temps would be an problem.

Thanks

Last edited:
After more reading, it looks like I am out of luck with the RV-10 firewall oil cooler mount (VA-186). It seems that it will only fit the A model.

It?s really more about finding the right spot for it. I built the mount then I kept moving it around on the firewall to find the best placement. I have an 11 row cooler. Make sure you check the fit with the oil cooler on the mount and the engine mount at least temporarily mounted to the firewall. Also the 4? scat routing needs to be checked too.

Thanks for the info, guys.

I am pretty sure that I am going to go with the firewall mounted oil cooler. If I use the Show Planes mount the right side will be a mess when I try to fit in the oil valve and oil separator for the inverted system.

Stephen,

Where did you get the 4" flange with the butterfly valve in it? Is it a modified Vans VA-187?

Stephen,

Where did you get the 4" flange with the butterfly valve in it? Is it a modified Vans VA-187?

I think it was from non-stop aviation but they are not around anymore... ACS has a similar one though. You need a flange and the butterfly.

Standard RV-10 parts no modification needed.

The firewall mount is on the way from Vans.

I'm going to hang onto the Show Planes mount for the moment but it will probably be going in the classifieds section soon. It would be fine without an inverted oil system.

Thanks for the input.

- Michael

Very nice looking install.

Unfortunately I doubt I could fit the oil tank / separator there on a -7, the battery is mounted there.

Yes sorry I did stray from the plans and moved the battery to the forward baggage area. It would have been tough to get all that in there plus the battery.

Back