What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Departing Spruce Creek, Northwest Bound?

Dbro172

Well Known Member
I'm planning a VFR Cross Country flight NW bound out of Spruce Creek, 7FL6 and unfamiliar with what looks to be some busy airspace. Any suggestions? Would it be better to head North through the flight training area West of Daytona, up the coast East of Daytona, or track Westbound South of the MOA toward Leesburg before turning North?

Stay below 1200' and call Daytona approach/departure on 123.9 and give them your request for status of the 2907 and 2903 restricted areas. They may pass you to Jax approach first. Either way, I would plan to fly towards Palatka (28J) and then head east between the restricted areas. I would not try too hard to avoid the Palatka MOA, but you can stay out of it fairly easily if it is hot by flying north a little further and then head west past Palatka.

Btw, don't overfly Palatka, as hey are very busy with skydiving, but flying near it will keep you clear of the restricted areas.

Of course, if the 2907 restricted areas are cold at your desired altitudes, then you can head directly your desired direction from the Creek.

I would definitely not go south around the restricted areas. That's just too far to go.

If you are going through the panhandle, the easiest route is to Defuniak Springs (54J) and the west past Crestview (KCEW). You may go through some MOAs, but having done most of my 1700+ hours in this area of Florida, I would have a lot more hours and a lot less remaining gas money if I always avoided MOAs. It's a good idea to get flight following anyway, but especially when flying through hot MOAs.

Overall, it's much more indimidating when looking st the map than it is flying. Just call and talk to ATC and it's never a bad idea to ask for their recommended routing considering what is hot or cold.

A piece advice I would give is to leave real early in the morning or late in the afternoon to avoid all the training aircraft from the multitude of schools in the area. Here's a screenshot off my ADS-B. This is a typical weekday.

33282510553_bb30b7e05c.jpg

FWIW: Get flight follow the entire way. Climb above 8,000ft (keeps you well above most training, all airports as well as a being a lot cooler) and let them hold your hand. It will be a lot easier than it looks.
:cool:

Last edited:
Spruce creek

Depart Spruce Creek and go NE go between New Smyrna and Daytona at 1000 ft
Turn north about 3/4 miles offshore . Fly the coast to St Aug then westbound .
I spoke with the Daytona tower on the radio and in person , they would rather not talk to you unless you are landing at Daytona , they always keep us outside their class c on the coast . Turning west at St Aug puts you north of the big restricted area south of Palatka .
Nice flight up the coast .

Back