What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv-10 with no mufflers..?

William

Well Known Member
Hi everyone I’m in the final stages of finishing my Rv10 project and I’m curious if anyone is flying their Rv10 without mufflers. I know on the rv6a I built there were no mufflers standard on the veterman exhaust system and I had no issues with noise especially with the anr headsets today. I’m considering going with no mufflers on my Rv10 as well to save a little weight, reduce heat under the cowling, and perhaps pickup a extra few horsepower. Rv-10 drivers what do you think?

Thanks
Bill

I seem to remember from the long distant past, the the mufflers actually added power.

As I recall, this was from Vans?

I seem to remember from the long distant past, the the mufflers actually added power.

As I recall, this was from Vans?

That is very interesting, Mike. Do you recall if the test airplane was a stock compression engine? Do you happen to have a link to the test?

Thanks
Bill

I keep hearing stories about towns suing the local airport over noise violations. I know that locally there have been a few people with binoculars that routinely report tail numbers that are too loud.

I don't know how much of a noise difference the mufflers really make, but it seems like people keep buying houses next to an airport that's been around for 75 years, suddenly discover that there is an airport there, and then whine about the airport and the plane noise. Santa Monica is a prime example.

Mufflers

Those things that look like mufflers do nothing to reduce noise.
They are your heater boxes, and unless you live in Key West, I sure would not want to be without them in January!

We didn’t use the combined heat muff/mufflers on the RV10, went with straight outs that were available from Vetterman. Reason was to improve the exit out the bottom cowl for better cooling. (It works) Doesn’t seem to be much difference in noise, that comes from people on the ground comparing 10s with and without, (so not scientific) also with NC headsets it’s not an issue for occupants. We didn’t require large cabin heating capacity so just went with heating to the front of the cabin, and that comes via one standard two seat RV heat muff fitted to one of the straight outs, the exhaust pipes are the same diameter. Cheers from Western Australia

Back