What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailcone storage - vertical?

RugerRV-10

I'm New Here
Hey VAF,

I searched for tailcone, vertical, and storage in a lot of different combinations with no luck. My question:

I'm trying to store away my rv-10 tailcone for a few months and in attempting to save space, am trying to find a way to store it vertically. Van's stores their QB kits vertically from the pictures I've seen, but those are resting on the firewall. The tailcone has that extra right skin that might be as simple a fix as an elevated platform, or storing it with the narrow end down would necessitate extra bracing to prevent the thing from falling over.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this before I go out and reinvent the wheel for a brace/cradle... Thanks!!

I'll post back with my concept if I do have to reinvent this...

Neither end is really suited for vertical storage. I'm not aware of anyone doing so to before.

I flew mine from the ceiling horizontally to keep it up out of the way while I built the wings and fuselage.

FP16112010A000C2.jpg

Tail Cone Storage

There is at least one builder here that stored it vertically because I seriously contemplated doing the same. You might search the archives a little more (or builder blogs) because I know I've seen it. Now that being said, my reasons for NOT doing it that way:
1) Because of the uneven forward edge of the tailcone, a raised platform was used to keep the baggage area overlap from contacting the ground (2x4 or something if I recall correctly) therefore all the weight of the tailcone was resting on the F1006 bulkhead. I was a little uncomfortable with this since it's not riveted yet. Wasn't sure if the clecoes would enlarge the holes or anything (call me crazy).
2) My bigger concern was hangar rash (in the garage ;-)). Just having it in the corner meant that I still might bump it with a flap or trip and fall into it or something. I just wasn't thrilled with that risk.

At the end of the day, I looked to the ceiling and I'm glad I did. It opened the entire floor space, and I don't have to think about it again until its needed. In total it probably took a couple hours to secure. No big deal, just lots of pondering for the perfect spot and a second set of hands.

Good luck
Tim

[URL=http://s296.photobucket.com/user/senecaprop/media/IMG_20150614_181339_938_zpszcrrlanb.jpg.html][/URL]

I stored mine vertically on a raised platform with the side skin projecting down the side and protected by some wood struts and polystyrene.

Back