What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back from paint shop

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Got my plane back from Evoke paint shop in Gadsden, AL in mid June. Very happy with end product. Jonathan, Larry and team did outstanding job. Happy customer.
Johan

Attachments

• Paint1.jpg
    Paint1.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 839
  • Paint 2.jpg
    Paint 2.jpg
    403.6 KB · Views: 501
Gorgeous.
I'm at least 2 years away from paint... but have been thinking on how to maximize visibility (i.e. pale on top and dark on bottom) without being boring.
This one looks really nice.

Hi Johan your RV-10 is a work of art, looks great! What paint was used? I painted my RV-10 myself and took a much simpler scheme then yours but our colors used appear to be close; I used jetglo express. Your blue is gorgeous…Enjoy it!

Be blessed
Bill

Attachments

• 419A5815-D153-4F49-A270-7CAF53BAFDFD.png
    419A5815-D153-4F49-A270-7CAF53BAFDFD.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Hi Johan your RV-10 is a work of art, looks great! What paint was used? I painted my RV-10 myself and took a much simpler scheme then yours but our colors used appear to be close; I used jetglo express. Your blue is gorgeous…Enjoy it!

Be blessed
Bill

Thank you for the kind words.
Logbook entry states that they used Axalta, Spies Hecker Permacron and clear coated with Axalta Aviation Series AF740.
Hope this helps and is what you asked for.
Johan

Got my plane back from Evoke paint shop in Gadsden, AL in mid June. Very happy with end product. Jonathan, Larry and team did outstanding job. Happy customer.
Johan

It looks classy, better than most. But the big question is....who did all the prep work including the composite prep...and what did the paint job cost???

Thank you for the kind words.
Logbook entry states that they used Axalta, Spies Hecker Permacron and clear coated with Axalta Aviation Series AF740.
Hope this helps and is what you asked for.
Johan

Thanks Johan….Those colors really pop!

Bill

Very nice. Who designed your paint scheme?

I am years away from the paint shop. Seeing a completed RV10 is such an inspiration.

No response from the OP on the price of the paint job. It must be a secret. I'm guessing it was HUGELY expensive and the OP doesn't want his wife to find out :D

If you have to ask...

No response from the OP on the price of the paint job. It must be a secret. I'm guessing it was HUGELY expensive and the OP doesn't want his wife to find out :D

Jonathan and his team are craftsmen (and women). Yes, they are more expensive than some other places, but in my opinion - worth every penny. I haven't verified this, but I will bet Evoke/Plane Schemers have won more awards at SNF and OSH than any other paint and design firm. They had three airplanes in the Van's 2021 calendar.

They painted my award winning RV-7A and will do my RV-10 early next year. I'm not going anywhere else.

And to the OP - your airplane is beautiful!

Last edited:
I now hear on the grapevine that Evoke has a standard charge for prepping and painting RV10s of US $28,000.

Now I'm not criticising that price at all....as with just about everything in life you tend to get what you pay for.

But it is interesting that you might have to pay that sort of money these days for a really top notch paint job.

I'm guessing that a lot of the Lindy winners at AirVenture are owned by builders with deep pockets who can afford QB kits, flash third party instrument panels and custom-built interiors, and expensive paint jobs.

Last edited:
I now hear on the grapevine that Evoke has a standard charge for prepping and painting RV10s of US $28,000.

Now I'm not criticising that price at all....as with just about everything in life you tend to get what you pay for.

But it is interesting that you might have to pay that sort of money these days for a really top notch paint job.

I'm guessing that a lot of the Lindy winners at AirVenture are owned by builders with deep pockets who can afford QB kits, flash third party instrument panels and custom-built interiors, and expensive paint jobs.

$28K is probably the minimum for an RV-10. The paint Jonathan uses is about $1000 per gallon. And you better be prepared to wait over a year.

Just like the high end car shows, it takes money (and/or tremendous skills in multiple disciplines) to win a Lindy at OSH. I know this rubs some folks the wrong way, but it is what it is. As to QB kits - I'd rather do (and have done) a slow build. You have better control over the quality.

Now I'm not criticizing that price at all....as with just about everything in life you tend to get what you pay for.....
The following was posted elsewhere in February of this year:

I own Plane Schemer and Evoke Aviation here in Alabama. As a shop owner I am very transparent about our pricing and how your money is spent on your plane. Our “gold lindy” finish costs $28k flat regardless of the paint design (excluding custom airbrush work). I do the paint layouts myself and gift that portion to you at no cost. This allows us to paint some really awesome stuff and still spend the time needed to make sure the prep and detail work is perfect.

All Composite work is included in the pricing, even from rough fit. Here’s a breakdown of our costs. We average 600 hours of labor for an RV-10. This includes base/clear and a mirror buffed finish. Our hourly rate is well below average and averages $30-$35 billable for a completed project. The materials we use are the best available, paint and material cost averages $6k- $7k (pricing did see a 10% increase last year but we are working hard to not increase the costs for the owner).

Yes, 28k seems like a lot but you get every ounce of that value and way more with the finished product. You know exactly what you’re going to get, you won’t get handed a surprise bill at the end, and you’ll sleep better knowing your plane’s paint has the Evoke stamp of approval and warranty.

I was at that shop a couple of months ago on a casual Saturday tour. Yes, $28k is the flat rate for a -10. If you need/want/can afford them, the product (and apparent professional level of service) appears incredible. If I had an unlimited budget or Jonesed for an award, I couldn’t imagine a better place to get an airplane painted.

OTOH, my goal is a nice looking, nice flying airplane at a reasonable cost. They were not in my solution set.

I agree. It's astonishing that it's that high, but it is what it is. Given that I'd be taking them a pin hole-free airframe with DanH-level composite finish work done for them already (thanks to DanH's detailed mentoring here on VAF), that flat fee would be very unpalatable to me.

I agree. It's astonishing that it's that high, but it is what it is. Given that I'd be taking them a pin hole-free airframe with DanH-level composite finish work done for them already (thanks to DanH's detailed mentoring here on VAF), that flat fee would be very unpalatable to me.

When I was there, they had a shop full of airplanes in-process. Clearly, there are a bunch of owners willing to pay for an absolutely stunning paint job.

It looks fantastic! I saw 54 RV10s at OSH this year and yes, the finish is what you notice first. Hope to park my bird out there with you next year.
Fly Safe

Back