What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring for dual magneto switches and a start button?

moespeeds

Well Known Member
Friend
I currently have a key switch in my RV and can't stand it. It's time to rebuild my mags, so I'm installing a Surefly, a slick, and new harness.

As part of all that, I want to eliminate the key switch and use 2 on/off switches for the mag/surefly and a starter button. I purchased the button and 2 switches from steinair, but a search on the forum is coming up short for a wiring diagram.

Any help?

TIA

You can look at this post to see how I wired mine. I have a hidden start enable switch and my push button lights when the engine isn't running and just the left mag is on - ready to start. That is the only condition that the start button will actually work. Hope this helps.

Claude’s wiring example is fine, but it implies that the mag is grounded to the ship, and the mag switch is also grounded to the ship.

The switch should connect the mag p-lead to the mag ground terminal when grounding the mag. In other words, the mag switch connects the p-lead center conductor to the p-lead shield.

Carl

I have two mag switches plus a push button for the starter ... love it and it works like a champ. Schematic attached; starter will only activate when the L mag is on, R mag is off.

You'll need to modify the Surefly side to properly disable/enable it on start if need more than a tie to ground...

Attachments

• starter_schematic.png
    starter_schematic.png
    415.1 KB · Views: 254
Claude’s wiring example is fine, but it implies that the mag is grounded to the ship, and the mag switch is also grounded to the ship.

The switch should connect the mag p-lead to the mag ground terminal when grounding the mag. In other words, the mag switch connects the p-lead center conductor to the p-lead shield.

Carl

Good catch Carl. I'll have to check how I did the installation. I think both ground points in my diagram are tied into the same terminal which is isolated from ship ground. I think I run ship ground to the light circuit for the start button.

I have two mag switches plus a push button for the starter ... love it and it works like a champ. Schematic attached; starter will only activate when the L mag is on, R mag is off.

You'll need to modify the Surefly side to properly disable/enable it on start if need more than a tie to ground...

That’s a great idea, Bill. Are those mag switches just dpst switches? I think I’m going to do that

That’s a great idea, Bill. Are those mag switches just dpst switches? I think I’m going to do that

That's what I used (DPDT), they are DT since there's 2 circuits. They're locking mini toggles (DigiKey M2022LL1W02-ND). They've been perfect for me. If you are interested in a push button with a red light when available like I did, DigiKey CWI267-ND is what I used.

I wired mine just like Bill, but with a twist: I use one switch for each mag, side by side. Each are DPDT with a momentary ON position on top:

Switches down: Mags grounded
Switches in middle position: Mags ungrounded (hot)
Switches in momentary up: Non-impulse mag grounded, starter engaged.

Both switches have to be held up for the stater to go. This lets me avoid a separate button, and makes it less likely I will accidentally engage the starter with a knee or otherwise when I don't mean to, since it takes two separate switches to engage it.

i-T2mTzZq-M.png

This is what it looks like on the panel:

That's what I used (DPDT), they are DT since there's 2 circuits. They're locking mini toggles (DigiKey M2022LL1W02-ND). They've been perfect for me. If you are interested in a push button with a red light when available like I did, DigiKey CWI267-ND is what I used.

Thanks Claude,
I just ordered 2 of those switches. I already have a starter push button from Stein (which will be protected with a hidden inline guarded toggle), but there is a 32 week lead time on that lighted push button. I have used the NKK switches and have good luck with them. They are the ones I prefer for mini’s.

Last edited:

Thanks Claude,
I just ordered 2 of those switches. I already have a starter push button from Stein (which will be protected with an inline guarded toggle), but there is a 32 week lead time on that lighted push button. I have used the NKK switches and have good luck with them. They are the ones I prefer for mini’s.

Back