What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What gauge wire for headphone jacks?

CATPart

Well Known Member
I have some MS27500 TG3 in 24 gauge and 20 gauge. The 20 seems huge and the 24 seems tiny.

What is the minimum acceptable gauge for headphones? This is for new stereo headset jacks I am installing for the pilot and copilot, since my new gtr200b is stereo.

Thanks

Headphones are fairly high impedance and therefore draw little current. Even 26 gauge would work. Using smaller wire is troublesome due to the mechanical strength, particularly on soldered joints on jacks that don’t allow good strain relief of the wires. I used 22 gauge.

Just me

I used 26 AWG twisted shielded wire triplet (3 wires inside shield). And shield is only grounded at GMA245 audio panel unit.

22 gauge is typically the smallest used in aircraft and is ideal for data and audio. But as Mike said above, HP jack wires have minimal strain relief so the smaller wires don’t do well in this situation.

Last edited:
22 gauge is typically the smallest used in aircraft and is ideal for data and audio. But as Mike said above, HP jack wires have minimal strain relief so the smaller wires don’t do well in this situation.

+1
I use three or four #22 conductor shielded cable for such runs. Anything smaller is too fragile. The shielded cable is also more robust compared to individual wire runs.

I start out wiring with a 100' spool of four conductor cable and use it for all audio and data runs like remote ADS-b receivers, autopilot servos (data, not power) and such (low current stuff). Most places give a discount if you buy 100'.

Carl

Thanks all. I now see in my gtr200 manual it says "all other wire 22ga. min" which I guess includes the speaker wire. I found a Nuckolls drawing where he said 24ga. minimum, but it was sort of random.

Anyway, I am tempted to go with the 24 because the 20 seems like I could use it to lassew me a steer! If I can figure a way to strain relief it then 24, else 20, or reckon I could order some 22, **** those shipping charges keep adding up!

24 awg is a PITA unless you are using high density D-sub pins, and then it’s still a pain to work with because they are so small. I know the current load requirements don’t require a larger conductor, but handling/installation might.
I have a 5 conductor 24 awg cable going back to my pitch trim Servo on the tail, and every time I have to work on it, like right now during my paint process with removing/re-installing my tail feathers, I kick myself in the butt for using such small wires. Those small wires can handle the load, but can they - or you- handle the abuse they might get during inspection or servicing? Worried about weight? The bugs you collect on the tail on a typical summer flight weigh more than the difference.

Well after a great deal of hangar searching I found barely enough 22 ga in my neighbor's bin to finish the project. Everything is soldered up and feels really nice and sturdy. It is the perfect size really. Agreed on the 24.

Back