What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tilt canopy handle for -14

I thought Darwin was going to do these…. If that is not the case I have access to Haas 3 axis CNC mill and I could probably do a run of them. If that is of interest to the group, I would need the CAD file, and I could see what I can do.

Last edited:
I thought Darwin was going to do these…. If that is not the case I have access to Haas 3 axis CNC mill and I could probably do a run of them. If that is of interest to the group, I would need the CAD file, and I could see what I can do.

I thought so too, but he hasn’t posted anything on this thread in about six months. I’d definitely purchase one if someone would make them.

John,

I am about to install your handle and wondering if it can be installed in lieu of the Van's "Canopy Handle Assembly" or if I need to supplement with some elements of the Van's C-01405A unit for strength on the Canopy Frames (C-01405L/R)?

Ben

Ben (and everyone else who bought one of my handles):
I would suggest you make a doubler for the back side and use washers under the heads of the rivets.

Cheers,

Roger that….thanks anyway. Hopefully someone will machine some out of aluminum.

JD Air has says they are looking into it. But his CNC guy is only does it part time since he is an airline pilot (CNC guy). But I keep hoping they will move forward with the project. Seems like plenty would order.

See my post on last page. If someone gives me the dimensions, I will make some out of 6061 or whatever you want.

Hopefully someone here has the specifications they can forward to you. I’m nowhere close to this point in my build to be able to provide the dimensions. I actually thought someone had posted a CAD file early on in this thread or had it available to anyone that wanted it??….but maybe not. John did that 3D printed one, so I’m sure he has some good measurements.

Last edited:
CAD for canopy handle

Hello all:

I did the design and stress analysis in SolidWorks for the 3D printed canopy handle. Scroll back through this thread to find the results. The important caveat is that they were printed using the HP Fusion Jet printer. It produces a very strong part. The analysis was based on that material and process. To use any other material or process would NOT be suggested. I can provide the SolidWorks file to any one who wants to machine some of these. I am "out of the business" as I'm concentrating on getting my 14 built.
Thanks to all that have expressed an interest.

Hello all:

I did the design and stress analysis in SolidWorks for the 3D printed canopy handle. Scroll back through this thread to find the results. The important caveat is that they were printed using the HP Fusion Jet printer. It produces a very strong part. The analysis was based on that material and process. To use any other material or process would NOT be suggested. I can provide the SolidWorks file to any one who wants to machine some of these. I am "out of the business" as I'm concentrating on getting my 14 built.
Thanks to all that have expressed an interest.

I would like to get a copy of the Solidworks file, and see if it would be doable on my CNC setup. I will PM you with my email and contact information. Thank you for the gracious offer to provide this. I did review the stress analysis poster previously.

Thanks,

Dan

I would like to get a copy of the Solidworks file, and see if it would be doable on my CNC setup. I will PM you with my email and contact information. Thank you for the gracious offer to provide this. I did review the stress analysis poster previously.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,
I sent you a PM

6061 CNC Handles

To all who previously commented about John's handle design....

He has been kind enough to share the CAD with me, and I have been able to do the setups and tool paths to make them from billet aluminum. I will be able to do a run of these for those who want one. Pictures of the 'prototype' below......

I'm figuring out the cost basis, and I'll have a price up within the next couple of days when I get quotes back on materials.

Attachments

• IMG_9349.jpg
    IMG_9349.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_9350.jpg
    IMG_9350.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 174
Neat looking handles - I might have installed one when I was building. However, now that I'm flying, I never use the handle - I just push upward on the canopy bubble, which is protected from fingerprints by a Koger sunshade.

Neat looking handles - I might have installed one when I was building. However, now that I'm flying, I never use the handle - I just push upward on the canopy bubble, which is protected from fingerprints by a Koger sunshade.

How do you close it?

He has been kind enough to share the CAD with me, and I have been able to do the setups and tool paths to make them from billet aluminum. I will be able to do a run of these for those who want one. Pictures of the 'prototype' below......

I'm figuring out the cost basis, and I'll have a price up within the next couple of days when I get quotes back on materials.

I’ll take one. I’ll send a PM to you with my contact information.

Very interested. Thanks!

How do you close it?

Pull down/back on the canopy's left side rail and lower the canopy onto your right hand. The handle would be too high to pull down anyway, so you'd have to use the side rail to lower it in the first place.

Mike Seager showed me this - easier, and also prevents over-rotating the shoulder for those with rotator cuff problems.

_Alex

Pull down/back on the canopy's left side rail and lower the canopy onto your right hand. The handle would be too high to pull down anyway, so you'd have to use the side rail to lower it in the first place.

Mike Seager showed me this - easier, and also prevents over-rotating the shoulder for those with rotator cuff problems.

All of my RV flying experience, save for a few hours in an RV-12, have been in slider models. Would be interesting to do a poll to see how many RV-14 pilots don't use the handle on the tip up canopy. Could you just leave it out? What about taxiing with the canopy unlatched, would that be a use case for holding onto the handle or would you use your left hand/arm against the left side rail for that as well? Obviously as PIC your right hand is the throttle hand so you can't use that hand for both throttle and canopy handle duties at the same time...curious how everyone manages this?

Weight?

Looks beautiful, curious about the weight though, do you have that info? If it was designed as a 3D printed part (plastic/composite), could the thickness of the mounting flange be reduced a bit, and/or maybe rout a groove in the aft side of the handle itself to make it lighter?

Canopy handle usage

I very rarely leave the canopy unlatched after I get in. Yes, I have the canopy alert on the canopy and even gives me an audible alert if I leave the canopy unlatched and do a mag check. I find the NACA vents give 10 times the volume of fresh air into the cabin as a partially open tip up so just open one vent. I prefer not to push on the plexi (especially in Ohio winters) to open as this seems an incident waiting to happen. The new handle seems well done and would have considered it if not already built. (A few more ounces in weight ok) And yes, pull down to close and push up to open, very ergonomically designed.

RV-14 6061 CNC Canopy Handle

Hi all,

I got quotes back for materials, and optimized tool paths at much as possible to be efficient with machine time.

Cost will be $135.

Shipping will be $10.55 CONUS USPS priority mail.

If you have already PM'd me about the handle, I will send you the final cost information by PM and you can tell me your go/no-go decision.

Once I have a solid count on who wants one, I will order materials and make them. I will update this thread as materials are ordered, received, and as handles are completed.

------

Some have asked questions that are worth sharing with the group, so here are some answers to questions that have come up......

I don't have the capability to anodize, so anodizing is up to you if needed.
But I can powder coat Red or Grey if you want (add $25)

Other powder coat colors possible on an individual basis - PM and we can sort it out.

The weight of the prototype is 257g (the final completed handles may be a few grams lighter)

I tried adding lightening holes in CAD to see the effect. Lightening holes in the grab handle could probably take it down between 25g-40g depending on how aggressive one was with material removal. I plan to make these as already pictured, and if anyone wants to drill out lightening holes, go for it.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi all,

I got quotes back for materials, and optimized tool paths at much as possible to be efficient with machine time.

Cost will be $135.

If you have already PM'd me about the handle, I will send you the final cost information by PM and you can tell me your go/no-go decision.

Once I have a solid count on who wants one, I will order materials and make them. I will update this thread as materials are ordered, received, and as handles are completed.

------

Some have asked questions that are worth sharing with the group, so here are some answers to questions that have come up......

Other powder coat colors possible on an individual basis - PM and we can sort it out.

The weight of the prototype is 257g (the final completed handles may be a few grams lighter)

I tried adding lightening holes in CAD to see the effect. Lightening holes in the grab handle could probably take it down between 25g-40g depending on how aggressive one was with material removal. I plan to make these as already pictured, and if anyone wants to drill out lightening holes, go for it.

Cheers,

Dan

I’ll take one

Dan,
Please put me down for one as well.

Thanks,
Lucky

Hi all,

Cost will be $135.

------

Cheers,

Dan

RV-14 Canopy Handle

I am planning to order materials on Monday. Last call approaching......

So far I have 13 who have confirmed.

I have been in PM contact with all of those who are confirmed, so you know who you are. If you have not yet sent me a shipping address, please do so.

-Dan

Today is the last day to put in for a handle.

I will be placing an order for the 6061 stock this evening. I expect 1-2 weeks for the stock to arrive. Then I will begin making them and send them out as they are finished up. I will post up here when stock arrives.

If anyone who has requested a handle is at the building phase where their progress depends on the handle, let me know and I will prioritize. Also, if anyone is planning to retrofit to an existing set of holes, let me know so I can delete the attachment holes on your handle and allow you to match drill to what you already have.

-Dan

Retrofit

Hello Dan,

Mine is a retrofit on a flying plane. No attach holes would be great.

Thanks again!

Bill Delcambre

A usual, a day late and a dollar short...

Dan if you ever get around to a second run, please let me know. :)

Handles are being made and shipped as they are finished. I am contacting people as they are completed, so expect something pretty soon if you have not gotten anything yet. They take a little time to run on the mill, and my work schedule also interferes a bit, so patience is appreciated.

I really like the way the red powder coat turned out...

Attachments

• IMG_9478.jpg
    IMG_9478.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 123
Handles are being made and shipped as they are finished. I am contacting people as they are completed, so expect something pretty soon if you have not gotten anything yet. They take a little time to run on the mill, and my work schedule also interferes a bit, so patience is appreciated.

looks awesome!

Looking good Dan, I can’t wait to get mine.

Dan, my handle arrived today and looks great. Thanks!

Hi Dan,

My handle was delivered today. Excellent work, I'm very pleased!

Thank you for stepping up and offering this service. Hope you make another run for those that want one.

Dan.

I’ll join the chorus. The handle you built is a work of art. I really like the machining marks.

Question. When you powder coated your handle, did you smooth the machining marks or power coat it as is?

Dan.

Question. When you powder coated your handle, did you smooth the machining marks or power coat it as is?

Thanks guys. John did the design - it's his art. He did a nice job on the design. I'm happy to be making what he came up with.

The finish machining was done with a ball mill (the machining lines are the 'cusp' between ball mill passes) The actual cusps are only about 0.0012" from top to bottom. It's enough to give it a little texture but is easily covered by the powder coating. So there was no additional polishing needed prior to powder coating. The feel of the handle is noticeably different with powder coating. Even though the difference is so small.

Big thanks to Dan (and John). To add to what others have already said, I received my canopy handle from Dan earlier this week. It is an exceptional quality custom product and I could not have asked for a more professional transaction.

Mine got here as well. Although rather than a power coat I will do some home anodization on it. Just a question of what color I will go with.

Received mine !!

I purchased one out of more curiosity as I am always interested in mods builders make for the builds. Since mine is installed and seems to work rather well (feels good, safe and functional) I thought we'll see. It's a very, very nice piece of machining and has not good but a GREAT feel. (Nothing like solid milled aluminum in your hand) Dan knocked it out of the park on this one. Whether you powder coat it, anodize or polish it will look great!! Nice job and thanks!!!

Attachments

• RV-14 Handle.jpg
    RV-14 Handle.jpg
    576.6 KB · Views: 94
Back