What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanging engine on a TW without EMP on

I am getting ready to hang the engine on my 14 TW. I do not have the HS, VS, Rudder and Elevator on the aircraft at this time. I am curious how much weight I will need to add to the tail and if anyone has any tips or tricks to make this easier.

Thanks

Eric

This was my set up. I think it was a 10" cement block. It was plenty however my emp was on. So a cement block plus what you estimate the emp to be. Perhaps two blocks?

Out an abundance of caution I tried lifting the tail after the engine mount but prior to removing the hoist completely.

Attachments

• IMG_3744.jpg
    IMG_3744.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 109
Hanging engine

I figure about 50-80 lbs to make sure it can't tip. I know it took at least 50 to pull the tail down on my 7A to get the nose gear up.
I suggest making a weight for future use.
Mix a bag of cement. Hang a heavy chain in a 7 gallon bucket with a weight to keep it vertical. Maybe put a bolt through the last link for added security. Pour in the concrete. When it sets, you've got about 80lbs with a chain. Buy a 500lb mini hoist
off Amazon. They work great for winching small loads up or down.Mophorn 0.25T Lever Block Chain
DO NOT use a wratchet strap. They release all at once. Don't ask what broke. Let's just say my wife was not happy.

Last edited:
Anchor Bolt

I drilled a hole in the concrete floor of my hangar and installed an expansion bolt, leaving about 3/4" of thread sticking up. I then screw on an eye loop and use a cheap HF block and tackle rig to pull the tail down with the tail eyebolt. I have a chain cut to the right length to hold the tail down to do work on the nose gear. Remove the loop on the floor when not in use. It is mostly under the tail so I don't trip on it. Simple and clean.

Thanks for the info. I think I will use the concrete in a bucket idea. Although I like the bolt in the floor idea too.

Thanks again

Eric

Mix a bag of cement. Hang a heavy chain in a 7 gallon bucket with a weight to keep it vertical. Maybe put a bolt through the last link for added security. Pour in the concrete. When it sets, you've got about 80lbs with a chain.

I did almost the same thing, except instead of a chain I sunk a big threaded receptacle into a bucket of concrete, resulting the world's heaviest nutplate. It got attached to the tail with a long bolt and some scrap wood pieces to protect the tailwheel socket:

20090726_bucket3.jpg
20090726_bucket4.jpg

I did almost the same thing, except instead of a chain I sunk a big threaded receptacle into a bucket of concrete, resulting the world's heaviest nutplate. It got attached to the tail with a long bolt and some scrap wood pieces to protect the tailwheel socket:

Matt, where did you find the threaded socket? I can't remember ever seeing one. I think I might like to try your method when the time comes next year.

Bucket

Thanks for the info. I think I will use the concrete in a bucket idea. Although I like the bolt in the floor idea too.

Thanks again

Eric

Beauty of the bucket is mobility. If you need the airplane moved, the bucket can go wherever it's needed. I recommend a dolly.
I actually have a tractor weight. Dang thing must weigh 200lbs. I put it on a wheel dolly and snaked a chain through it. Feels like it would hold down the tail of a DC3.

I have a 25lb tungsten bar on the aft deck and a 5gal bucket of drywall mud in the baggage compartment right now. No empennage installed. Seems to be working fine.

Matt, where did you find the threaded socket? I can't remember ever seeing one. I think I might like to try your method when the time comes next year.

I think I used a big toggle bolt, but you could also tap a sturdy piece of scrap metal, or use a threaded insert on the back side of a chunk of wood.

My RV-14 taildragger sat on the mains and tailwheel just fine with the engine on but without wings or tail feathers.

When we hung the prop, though, that’s what tipped the scales. So my helper was hanging onto a half-installed propeller while I scrambled to ballast the tail before I went back to help get the propeller bolts started.

What I found was a 5-gallon bucket of Oil-Dri and a couple of bungee cords. And that’s exactly the setup that kept the tail on the ground until the wings were on. I just recommend getting the weight on the tail before you hang the propeller.

My RV-14 taildragger sat on the mains and tailwheel just fine with the engine on but without wings or tail feathers.

When we hung the prop, though, that’s what tipped the scales. So my helper was hanging onto a half-installed propeller while I scrambled to ballast the tail before I went back to help get the propeller bolts started.

What I found was a 5-gallon bucket of Oil-Dri and a couple of bungee cords. And that’s exactly the setup that kept the tail on the ground until the wings were on. I just recommend getting the weight on the tail before you hang the propeller.

With the empennage on and wings off with the fuselage in the 3 point position the tail is heavy enough with engine and prop on. The tail gets very light when it is lifted towards the flying position. I had no issues pushing the plane around in this configuration. The weight on the tail is only required when tail is up. It needs not to be too fancy.

Attachments

• IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    688.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Back