What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Just ordered new longerons

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
Yes ladies and gents, pretty much worst case scenario.

Turns out I didn’t really see what was happening in the plans and bent them along the wrong axis. I might have tried to rebend them except that I had backdrilled onto it already which would leave holes.

Only piece of advice I’d give is imagine fitting it in from the back forward. The longer flange at the rear slides along the vertical axis of your rear bulkhead.

Probably not as bad as cracking a canopy but I was pretty thrown when I realized what I had done.

I’m still waiting for a shipping estimate but I’m sure it won’t be pretty.

Welcome to my world.

Don’t let it get u down, too much. Been flying over 5 years now (1,000+ hours) with my SECOND SET of longerons. I never think about it anymore. Flying the plane will make it all better.

I realize it does zero to help you east coast guys, but I've got a new unbent set of these (maybe even 3? I'll have to look).

If anybody can use them and wants to figure out how to get them picked up from Wichita KS please give me a shout. Even a days drive with a ladder rack up top would be less that paying the horrendous freight on these if you've had an oopsie.

Common mistake

I did something very similar during my 7A build, and while it felt like the end of the world at the time, it was actually pretty straightforward replacing the longerons once I found replacement metal that long.

Yes ladies and gents, pretty much worst case scenario.

Turns out I didn’t really see what was happening in the plans and bent them along the wrong axis. I might have tried to rebend them except that I had backdrilled onto it already which would leave holes.

Only piece of advice I’d give is imagine fitting it in from the back forward. The longer flange at the rear slides along the vertical axis of your rear bulkhead.

Probably not as bad as cracking a canopy but I was pretty thrown when I realized what I had done.

I’m still waiting for a shipping estimate but I’m sure it won’t be pretty.

You can order the same size of longerons from any aircraft supplier. They don't have to come from Vans. In your case, the shipping cost across the country is a killer. I ordered the replacement longerons from the nearby Aircraft Spruce. At least you don't have to order the replacement bubble canopy like I did. The replacement cost is close to 50 hours worth of 100LL

Last edited:
I bought 2 extras as a precautionary measure and wound up not needing them. I haven't cut them up for other parts yet if you want to consider a road trip.

Longerons

The longerons are not excotic metal. A local metal supplier may have it. Seems like it's extruded 6061 but maybe someone will reply with the correct alloy. Worth checking.

Thanks I’ll check a more local source. Anyone know exactly what to ask for? Seems they are 3/4 x 3/4 x 15.

Just got a shipping quote from vans.

800 dollars to the east coast.

Ouch I’m going to try to source them closer.

Check with local metal supplier. I paid 125 for two 25 foot pieces. Shipping from Vans was a grand. Not their fault but exorbitant.

I ordered and extra longeron with my wing kit, at the suggestion of other builders. The part is cheap, but the shipping is crazy. So I'll have an extra in case I screw up when I get to the fuselage. :)

Saga continues. Want I need at top and what I received from local vendor.
<snip>

Yep. They didn't give you extruded.
Bummer. I always go in person and look at what Im buying.
Sometimes it's damaged too.
Hope you find the correct stuff

I had to buy some replacements as well. I bought them from my local metal supplier in SF. Its been a while, but I think the pieces were actually 24' long. I had them cut them to the Vans length so it was possible for me to haul them. You want 3/4" x 1/8" 6061 angle. You need to make sure it is "structural" not "architectural". The structural grade is the stronger grade that has the radiused inner corner.

I took my cordless drill to the shop and drilled a hole in each end of the angle then I installed some small eyebolts in each end so I could tie them down to top of my car.

Oh BTW: Make sure it is stamped somewhere on the angle with a 6061 so you can make sure you have the right strength material.

Last edited:
I did something very similar during my 7A build, and while it felt like the end of the world at the time, it was actually pretty straightforward replacing the longerons once I found replacement metal that long.
Same here. You're not the first to order new longerons and you surely won't be the last. :)

Considering the time it would have taken to find a supplier in the Boston area (harder than I thought), it was more convenient to order exactly the right material from Vans and shipping at that time (2008) was less painful than I expected.

HTH

Dave

Last edited:
I'll have to order some myself; mine didn't fit in the AC shop space and were stored in a humid FL garage. I have a little some corrosion; while I think it could clean up, I'm not taking a chance with structural parts.

I guess I'll use the old ones as practice parts.

Back