What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wild dimple. Need advice

jwilbur

Well Known Member
So the dimpler slipped and I have an extra hole. I know this is relatively common and I know how to deal with it normally. However, this happened at the edge of my flap skin and there is a crack propagating to the edge. In addition. This hole is on the leading edge of the flap skin, right over the spar and under the corresponding hole of the leading edge skin. I'm not 100% sure how to best deal with this and would appreciate some advice.

2013-04-12_17-02-12_898-1024x768.jpg

Thanks for any help,

Since it is on the edge and it is cracked, my advice is to replace the skin. It is not that large a piece and will not be expensive to ship. I always took the road of replacement when I was in doubt.

My gut feeling is replace, but you should check with Vans--------they may have you put a rivet on either side of the one in question, in this skin only, and then cover it all with the other skin as per normal. Or something else.

But that should be their call.

Good luck.

You've effectively stop drilled it, so it's not likely to propagate. I suspect Van will say to put a rivet on either side, and cover it with the overlapping skin.

rivet spacing

Rivet spacing is not critical to the strength of the piece so rivet on either side and cover the mistake with a filler when you paint.

Note to Van's

I sent a note to Van's.

Personally, it doesn't really seem to me like it needs to be replaced. As has been said, the crack isn't going to propagate. I think a rivet on each side plus maybe nibbling out a small wedge and smoothing out the jagged bits in there seems like a reasonable (and sufficient) solution. And then the leading edge skin goes on top covering up all the ugliness.

I'll post the response from Van's when I get it.

The response from Van's

From Ken at Van's:

Welcome to the club. EVERYone does this at least once. Dimple the real hole, clean up the messy edges with a bit of 600 sandpaper, put a rivet in it and do a little body work before you paint. You can add an extra rivet to one or both sides of the !%!# hole if you like.​

I propose this idea that may interest you

323499numrisation0001.jpg

do not forget to make a small spacer to compensate for the thickness of the cut sheet

must translate handwritten notes which are written in French

Last edited:
Back