What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delivery disaster... kinda

bobmarkert

Well Known Member
I need a beer…… or three! So the day finally arrived when my finishing kit and firewall forward crate arrived. The truck pulled up and the driver started jacking the pallet while I moved my renters Diamond D40 out of the hanger. The wheel of the hand truck got stuck on the lift gate so the driver went inside the truck and shoved! When I realized what he was doing I started to move the Diamond faster. The hand truck and the 300 lb. crate crashed 4 feet to the ground just missing the wing of the Diamond by a few feet. The crate rolled over and came to rest on the writing that said “do not roll”. I didn’t get mad… didn’t lose my temper, didn’t say anything I would regret later. No apology from the driver,…. no sorry, ….no nothing (sic). The only thing I said to him was “are you for real”? So intentionally violating the directions clearly stenciled on the side of the crate, we rolled it back upright and moved it into my hanger. The bottom line, the crating department at Vans did a fantastic job building internal cross bracing. The only damage so far was a slight broken corner of the canopy skirt ….whew!!! I wonder if this is Devine retribution because I primed?

P.S. It was pure joy when I opened the box from Matco with my wheels and brakes. Wonderfully packed works of art.
Bob

1intruck.jpg

2nearwing.jpg

3onground.jpg

4donotroll.jpg

5insidecrate.jpg

wheels.JPG

Last edited:
Thankfully it was just a 90 deg bank and not a roll. Your first drop in from 4' and not even flying yet. At least you or the DA-40 was not injured. Enjoy the build.

Seriously?

I paid that guy good money to drop the crate AND ROLL IT. I was very specific. Now I will never beat you into the air. These new truck drivers....in the old days if you paid a guy to drop something off the back of the truck, he did it the right way. There just isn't any pride in workmanship anymore in this country. Everything done halfway. Now I have to double down on my Lloyd bribe. I guess there is still the engine there to sabotage. That should slow you down a bit.

Come on Bob....give me one. :)

Good for you Bob. I would not have kept my Sh,,,t together had that happened to me.
That Matco packaging is something else. Kind of a contrast in pride of work between that and the delivery guy.

Sad to see how that shipping company handled your freight. The company Todd Transit out of Rockford IL that handled my finish kit was the opposite, they were so concerned about off loading they sent a second truck no charge to assist in delivery. I tipped them very well.

34c2ff7f.jpg

8d79c4a9.jpg

163c68da.jpg

Lycoming

My brand new, fresh from the factory, Van's purchase Lycoming 0-360 A1A was delivered by FedEx Ground right from Lycoming in Pennsylvania.

It was complete with TWO FORK LIFT HOLES in the side of the cardboard box, into the foam and plastic wrap of the "preserved" engine. The holes were deep and I immediately called Lycoming.

The Fedex driver wouldn't wait so he had to come back the next day to load it back on the truck and take it back to Lycoming. Much to their credit, Lycoming inspected the engine and repacked it for long term storage and sent it back to me. (Lycoming stated that the fork lift blades had just missed the engine and plunged into the foam packing.)

Inspect those deliveries very carefully....:D

Sad to see how that shipping company handled your freight. The company Todd Transit out of Rockford IL that handled my finish kit was the opposite, they were so concerned about off loading they sent a second truck no charge to assist in delivery. I tipped them very well.

*image clip*

Now that is impressive! I like.

Wow Bob, seen the crate in the hangar last night...I had no idea the story behind it. And not to disregard your crate damage, that was chump change compared to if that thing would've hit that $265,000 DA40...life would've been much more interesting to say the least...Paul would not have been happy.

Glad to see it all worked out...I never had anything like that happen with my deliveries, in fact, the same guy delivered all of mine...he was very helpful and interested in the RV, we ended up talking airplanes as he had a daughter in the Air Force.

Back