What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Platenut / Nutplate

N9331v

Well Known Member
I'm installing aluminum windscreen fairings on my 7 slider, I would like to use the smallest screws and nutplates possible to attach to the fairing to the skin, I'm debating on using 4-40 screws and nutplates, is this to small. Any thoughts???

What are the requirements you are trying to satisfy?

I have hundreds of platenuts on our RV-6A. I have some smaller ones that I bought that have sat in my hardware bin boxes for years but I have never to the best of my knowledge used any smaller than #8 (8-32). One thing that maybe hasn't been thought about is the angled compression surface of the small flathead screws. During hole preparation, tightening, etc. care must be taken to avoid the situation where the small head pulls through thin aluminum immediately or over time.

Bob Axsom

#6 screws and platenuts are used all over RVs and work very well. I pondered #4 screws for my wingtips for awhile, but when I saw how little "purchase" those tiny screws had, I went with the #6s that Vans calls out. Happy I did. I did use #4s (5 of 'em on each hinge leaf) for my oil door hinge ...they're working fine. Relatively little stress there.

The #4 screws have a tendancy to shear off in the locking platenuts. I would avoid using #4 and go with #6+.

Thanks for everyone's great advice. Looks like I'll go with #6 screws and nutplates with a thin layer of pro seal.

Back