What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat Heaters?

Nah, he is a veritable demon.........

His website draws you in.

It tempts you with nice things and just when you place your order - it says - Ooo, would you like one of these as well, so you go back for more......

It is like needful things :eek:

I've used the new ones in our -3's seats a couple of times - really nice when you're at 17,500' on a winter day...even on the Gulf Coast!

How have you guys accounted for the 10-20A (5A each) load these seats consume if all of them are on? That's a big load to account for in alternator rating planning.

We have had them and love them. Ours was from Classic Areo which they will sell the kit seperatedly and it comes with two settings. We hardly turn on the muff heat in our RV. Here is a pic of where we have installed the switches.

IMGP6610 by bavafa1, on Flickr

Next

If my wife heard of seat heaters in the plane she would have me doing this as the very next mod for sure! She is cold usually. I may consider this option for her.

For those with finished interiors who wished they had installed seat heaters:

My buddy didn't put them in his 7A but, he found some portable car seat heaters that plug into a standard panel power plug. He says they work great and makes for a much more comfy flight in cold weather. Check out auto supply locations.

Wow, thanks for the kind words guys. It's nice to be appreciated.

Ha ha... needful things. Mike's comment made me laugh. It's all part of my evil plan to run Aircraft Spruce out of business. ;-) If only! I've still got my day job and no plans to leave it!

But seriously, the amperage on most seat heaters isn't that bad, typically about 6 amps per seat on high. Not 6 amps per pad (there are usually 2 pads per seat), but 6 amps total per seat.

Also, if your interior is finished, you can often add seat heaters easily, particularly at the condition inspection when it's all open anyway.

Many seats are closed with a zipper along the back or bottom edge. You can often simply slip the seat heater inside and simply let the wiring come out from the tiny hole at the end of the closed zipper.

In my plane I installed a couple quick disconnect jacks in the floorboards so I could easily remove the seat cushions without any wiring issues.

Anyone who can build or maintain a plane can install these things PDQ. And your wife will love you for it!!!

The wifey was cold on a trip to SC. It was fifty degrees outside at altitude. Go figure. This was her first cross country flight. I showed here where the seat heat switch was and she turned it on. After 15 minutes or so, I figured it was not working because she still had it on. I stuck my hand between her and the seat back. It was quite toasty. She said she was really comfortable. Money well spent. I have tested them a few times, but reall have never had a need for the extra heat. The wifey is happy, we are all happy.

Back