What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot Mast Recommendation

jacoby

Well Known Member
I'm looking for feedback on the 3 pitot mast options out there: The blue Avery, the gold Dynon, and the steel Gretz.

I have not decided on an avionics package so I'd like to keep my options open a bit. I do want an AOA, and most likely will go with either Garmin or Dynon.

The Avery and Dynon appear to be almost identical other than the anodization color. I like that these both mount to the rivet flange on the spar.

The Gretz seems to be a completely different in that it mounts to the skin and the mast itself is removable. It's also made of steel vs the aluminum of the other two.

Is there any compelling argument for or against any of these options? I've read the early Avery masts cracked but the blue version is fine. And I've read the Dynon is not a perfect fit for the Garmin pitot but can be made to work with a bit of squeezing.

Dynon AOA

Get on line and order the Dynon heated as it has the AOA integrated into it. Buy the install kit and you get a bunch of fittings,hose,bushings,wire, etc. You will need to order the controller with it. Not cheap but cool. Real solid mount also
Art

Dynon

I went with a dynon heated pitot. Fitting the mast was fairly straight-forward by following their instructions. I did have to file a tiny bit at the rear end to help fit the pitot better, but otherwise there were no issues. I had to think ahead when riveting the lower skin & pitot in place so as to not paint myself into a corner, but it all went together OK.

I installed the blue Avery mount on my RV-10. Installation of the mount was easy. I then installed a Garmin G3X system heated pitot with AOA into the mount. This took a bit of care as you have to drill the small mounting holes through the mount to match the pitot. Took my time and it turned out great. No problems with it so far.

Back