What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 41

msmst25

Well Known Member
I've just reached Section 41, attaching the upper forward fuselage assembly. The plans mention being able to keep the assembly separate in order to work on the instrument panel. I'm planning to order an Advanced Panel from AFS when the time comes. Is there any reason that I shouldn't attach the assembly at this point? I'd like to continue working and get to the step of attaching the cabin cover. My finishing kit won't arrive until May and my QB wings won't arrive until June.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I've just reached Section 41, attaching the upper forward fuselage assembly. The plans mention being able to keep the assembly separate in order to work on the instrument panel. I'm planning to order an Advanced Panel from AFS when the time comes. Is there any reason that I shouldn't attach the assembly at this point? I'd like to continue working and get to the step of attaching the cabin cover. My finishing kit won't arrive until May and my QB wings won't arrive until June.
Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't think you'll see more than a couple hours of "extra" work either way. In your shoes, I'd probably attach it and move on, knowing that it'll be a little more hassle cutting the sub-panel and attaching stuff to it later.

Wait until you can't. There are some things with the AFS that get installed behind the panel on the backside of the support. I too will likely put my top on too before I should as I am waiting on stuff. I plan on painting the fuse, canopy assembly prior to engine install, and likely I'll wait on the panel until after that. I am getting as many components as I can installed and wires ran prior to that. Email AFS and they'll give you a list of items to purchase and install that they will not need for bench testing.

Wait! I waited till the panel arrived from Stein. You can do your canopy cover and finish kit and even hang the engine before mounting. The only thing you can not do is install windshield. I needed to modify the sub panel for room for my GTN650 and I arranged all the sub boxes and back up batteries on the sub panel. I would also recommend you add the Vans Access panels forward of the sub panel. Unless you weigh less than 120 lbs and are a contortionist getting to things on the back side of the sub panel is hard.

So do you just cleco the assembly in position to attach the canopy cover? Where exactly are the access covers needed. I’m twice that weight and extremely inflexible.

Is it a quick build?
I personally don’t understand why that part is made on the bench then added as an assembly.
I built my 10 like my 7. Installed the sub panel and ribs and left it there.
I vowed to have as little as humanly possible forward of the sub panel.
Completed 99% of the wiring forward of the sub panel while working on the canopy. All this with the skin off but the sub structure in place.
There’s plenty of work to be done on the canopy and doors.
When you get to the stage where you have to install the windscreen, then rivet on the skin.
Once the windscreen and doors are on, then the windows and the real work begins 😜
Definitely install the access panels as mentioned just in case.

Back