What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cam shaft lubrication

Carsten

I'm New Here
Does anyone have any experience with the Centri-Lube Cam STC from Firewall Firward Aircraft Engines? It is supposed to port oil directly to the cam lobes, so cam lobe wear is minimized. Since Lycoming engines have their cam shafts at the top of the engines, unlike Conti’s, they would otherwise depend on (the more random?) crank shaft splashing for cam shaft lubrication. I just wonder if the gain is worth the cost, and if there are any down-sides.

Carsten
RV-7a, Flying.

I've never heard of a Lycoming camshaft or tappet wearing prematurely do to inadequate lubrication, provided the engine is operated regularly long enough to boil out condensation from the oil by flying ( not just running on the ground) and utilizing preheat when the engine is cool soaked. The main damage to the cam & tappets will come from lack of use ( rust )and very cold starts ( oil too thick and cold ) . Put a sump heater on it and fly it like you stole it.

The oil mist is substantial inside the case.

Cam problems occur as stated above.

Showing my ignorance about aircraft oil additives . .

If you really want to go the extra mile, I just heard about engine oil with Zinc additive. Recommended for Hi Perf, V-8 engines with hydraulic tappets and higher spring pressures . If not run for awhile, collapse the lifter pistons and it takes a while to re-fill after start up.

T

If you really want to go the extra mile, I just heard about engine oil with Zinc additive. Recommended for Hi Perf, V-8 engines with hydraulic tappets and higher spring pressures . If not run for awhile, collapse the lifter pistons and it takes a while to re-fill after start up.

That only applies to the auto world where the ZDDP levels were significantly reduced because 99.9% of the cars on the road have roller tappets and don't need it (it contributes to environmental issues). Aviation oil still has plenty of ZDDP, excluding break in oils.

Lyc's have very low valve spring pressures relative to auto engines, due to the low redline RPM. Traditional lobe/tappet wear is rarely an issues on these engines. It is corrossion tha kills them.

Larry

Last edited:
Back