What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 specific inspection items

werxcv01

Well Known Member
I am working on the first annual condition inspection for the flying RV-8 I purchased. We have researched the requirement to check the torque on the landing gear attach points and will be doing that, but I wanted to know if there are any other inspections required that are specific to this model.

I purchased the plan set flash drive from Van?s which, with the great customer service from them, has been invaluable. Unfortunately none of the original build documents came with the airplane.

I know there are several threads about the shrinking K&N air filters, and I experienced it on the RV-6A I previously owned. On this RV-8, the air filter had shrunk a good bit and I believe it is what caused a circular crack in the bottom of the filtered air box that I am repairing.

Any help, tips or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Inspection

Not really. Annual inspection same as other RVs I?ve owned with exception of gear bolt inspection. You can do this visually if they have lock witness paint on them.

Only other items that I like to keep an eye on is the plate behind the exhaust. With vibration here I?ve seen some cracks. Mine is stainless steel however.

Just general condition, controls bolts and jam nuts.

Thanks. I’ll check the area behind the exhaust. The 6-A had a similar problem that actually wore a line in the exhaust from touching the piano hinge pin at that point.

There is a recent condition inspection webinar from eaa.org that vic Syracuse was presenting. There are other webinars over the years on the same topic too. Call the eaa if they have a checklist for member.

Check the 12 bolts on the spar box !! I can’t say this enough. The SB that Vans put out is for the 8 Quick-build. There are a couple of threads on this forum and it happened to me too. After 10 condition inspections and a pre-by inspection when I bought it last year where they all missed it, this year I did my first condition inspection and found that the 12 bolts are missing, and this isn’t a quick build.

Vans doesn’t include the slow build in the SB because the plans specifically call for those bolts to be installed but still builders and those doing the Condition Inspections around the world are missing that stuff and I found that after so many years and so many inspections mine was missing the 12 bolts, so don’t let anyone tell you the SB doesn’t apply to your plane, check those bolts !

Last edited:
Are these the bolts that clamp the spar to the spar boxes or the bolts that run across the top of the spar carry through box?

Thanks. I watched the Vic Syracuse webinar a couple of times and took notes that I have gone over with my A&P so we are looking at those. I also attended some of Vic’s sessions at AirVenture.

Check the 12 bolts on the spar box !! I can?t say this enough. The SB that Vans put out is for the 8 Quick-build. There are a couple of threads on this forum and it happened to me too. After 10 condition inspections and a pre-by inspection when I bought it last year where they all missed it, this year I did my first condition inspection and found that the 12 bolts are missing, and this isn?t a quick build.

Vans doesn?t include the slow build in the SB because the plans specifically call for those bolts to be installed but still builders and those doing the Condition Inspections around the world are missing that stuff and I found that after so many years and so many inspections mine was missing the 12 bolts, so don?t let anyone tell you the SB doesn?t apply to your plane, check those bolts !

Thanks, I will check this. I have SB 16-12-16 which is for QB and refers to 12 bolts. So far, it appears the builder was very meticulous and careful. The issues found so far mostly wear items.

These are the bolts that been found missing on completed planes that weren't quick builds (I added the colors and highlights). Van's told me they don't put out SBs for customer built kits, only for the QBs they sell because the plans call for those bolts to be installed. I countered that since they know it's an issue with customer built kits it would be safer to tell everybody, but I guess it's a liability thing.

Thanks, I will check this. I have SB 16-12-16 which is for QB and refers to 12 bolts. So far, it appears the builder was very meticulous and careful. The issues found so far mostly wear items.

The person who built mine was meticulous and very knowledgeable and has built more than one RV. Also the A&P (with IA) who did my pre-purchase inspection has built many RVs and the person who did this year's CI, both also very experienced, yet they all missed this.

It doesn't hurt to check if they're missing because, although uncomfortable & time consuming to install, it can be done plus my mechanic has a way to do it without having to cut the plane anywhere, unlike what is recommended by Van's.

The person who built mine was meticulous and very knowledgeable and has built more than one RV. Also the A&P (with IA) who did my pre-purchase inspection has built many RVs and the person who did this year's CI, both also very experienced, yet they all missed this.

It doesn't hurt to check if they're missing because, although uncomfortable & time consuming to install, it can be done plus my mechanic has a way to do it without having to cut the plane anywhere, unlike what is recommended by Van's.

Thanks. I will check it while we have it opened up. Glad I thought to reach out to VAF members during the annual.

Thanks for the picture. I am glad I asked the question because I didn't know about this SB and I am building a standard RV8 kit.

Thanks for the picture. I am glad I asked the question because I didn't know about this SB and I am building a standard RV8 kit.

A lot of people inspecting the planes have missed it too, all over the world. They see QB and if the -8 is a slow build they think it doesn't apply.

Check the two SBs on the horizontal stabilizer. Some people have found cracks and others like myself have not. If you haven't already found it, look on Van's website for a list of downloadable SBs by model.

Also, check for fatigue cracks around rivet heads on the belly skin below the cockpit. These are common -8 issues and can occur early in the life of an eight. When found early you can stop-drill these.

Chris

Check the two SBs on the horizontal stabilizer. Some people have found cracks and others like myself have not. If you haven't already found it, look on Van's website for a list of downloadable SBs by model.

Also, check for fatigue cracks around rivet heads on the belly skin below the cockpit. These are common -8 issues and can occur early in the life of an eight. When found early you can stop-drill these.

Chris

The elevator/stabilizer and the aileron SB?s all checked out fine. We plan to safety wire the flap rod IAW that SB. I?ll have a good look at the belly skin rivet heads because she needs a good cleaning before we run her up for the first time after the inspection is done. We changed out the oil return lines (3 of 4 were suspect, the MIL6000 hose was aged, and the hose clamps were a bit over-sized) so I want a clean airplane to be able to see any oil leaks easily.

Back