What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine advice

N9331v

Well Known Member
Looking for some advice from the knowledgable base. It looks like I may have run across a engine for my -7 it's a
IO360 A3B6D from a Mooney 1030tt overhaul 2003
Will this fit ok? Any input will be appreciated

Thanks

Ed

my engine came out of a 1964 Mooney, IO 360 A1A not too sure on the suffix number codes like some on here, but mine was rear prop governor, equal length intake tubes, l and r Bendix mags, angle valve, Dynafocal mount, CS crank, fuel injected, took all that off and went EFII. The narrow deck angle valve was about 2 1/2" wider than a parallel valve, but the SJ cowl fit with a 3" saber prop extension..............barley.

Usually any issues arise by the sump configuration. You can put a new cold induction forward facing horizontal sump on it and be on your way. Superior is one vender that makes sumps.

Engine

A3B6D has angle valves, a front inlet oil sump and the single drive dual mag. This engine is a bit wider & heavier than the 180 hp parallel valve models. The "double mag" has been controversial, but properly maintained it is reliable enough. A number or RVs fly with this engine so obviously it will fit in the cowl. If you are serious about this purchase have someone with engine experience do a prebuy.

Don Broussard A&P, IA

RV-9 Rebuild in Progress

Engine

You may also replace the single drive Mag with dual EI mags that pick up of ring gear.
Bob

Back