What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question on Primer Installation

lr172

Well Known Member
I live in Chicago and feel that I will need a primer system on my O-320 due to the cold winters. The system is designed except for the fittings on the cylinders. I am assuming that I need something with a reduction in it like the fittings used for oil pressure sensor feeds. However, I cannot seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone know a name or part number for those fittings?

Thanks for the help.

Larry

Hi Larry-

I live in Iowa and was thinking about the primer system when I bought engine from Aerosport. Their guidance was it's probably not necessary unless you plan to fly in more extreme cold. I did not install a primer system and have not had any issues so far this year. Starts w/o issues at 20 degrees, haven't tried colder than that yet...not likely I will fly when it's colder anyway. More important that I preheat oil. I chose the less complex route and happy so far.

Hi Larry-

I live in Iowa and was thinking about the primer system when I bought engine from Aerosport. Their guidance was it's probably not necessary unless you plan to fly in more extreme cold. I did not install a primer system and have not had any issues so far this year. Starts w/o issues at 20 degrees, haven't tried colder than that yet...not likely I will fly when it's colder anyway. More important that I preheat oil. I chose the less complex route and happy so far.

Thanks for your insight. Just confirming that your engine is carb'ed.

I have no primer on my carbureted Mooney and have had no problems in the past 17 years.

Back