What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

superior engine

jacksel

Well Known Member
Having a lot of trouble finding someone at superior to talk to about an engine for my RV-7. I'm interested in an O-360 carbureted with a LSE mini crankmount ignition system in place of one of the mags. From everything I've seen, I can do it less expensively with a superior XP-360, with the whole system delivered installed, than ordering an engine from Van's and separately purchasing the LSI kit and installing it myself. What I'm not clear on is whether the XP-360 will be compatible with the Van's finishing kit and FF kit. I assume the finishing kit would probably not be an problem. But I would like to know if some items like the exhaust system, air box, throttle/mix/prop brackets and cables, and alternator will be more complicated because I can't use the Van's-supplied materials. Does anyone have experience with the XP-360? Is it any more trouble to finish an RV with a superior engine?

Basically, it's a Lycoming clone externally. Many things, such as the baffling, will be exactly the same. Some things vary by installed equipment, in which case even Lycoming engines may not be an exact match to the FWF kit. For example, induction type and location can cause variation in hose and control cable lengths. Also, any variation you make in routing can affect such things.

If you are building, then you probably have plenty of time to address these issues. Do your homework. You can get a list of the stock FWF parts and either delete or substitute as necessary; Van's will work with you on this. Where you cannot substitute, you can generally get a suitable replacement in a reasonable time frame (custom length hoses, for example) and by planning and ordering ahead it doesn't even slow you down. Inevitably, I spent more time waiting for ACS to deliver small hardware such as metal stopnuts, adel clamps, etc., of which there are never enough.

Pretty bad Superior spends all that money advertising and you can't get ahold of anyone there to discuss..........

I walked into their tent at Osh with a buddy of mine that has one of their engines. There were at least 5 Superior folks in that tent. We were there for at least 10 minutes, just us two and them. They never even acknowledged that we were there. They never even made eye contact with us.

Put a bad taste in my mouth and really bothered my friend as well.

Neither of us was buying but they did not know that....

Too bad they spend all that money on a tent spot at Osh and don't even acknowledge potential customers!

Great engine

Ive had my superior IO-360 6 years and it's been faultless.
I think the carb engine should be fine with the standard vans firewall forward kit. It's only if you get a forward induction injected engine you might have to make a few changes. Larry Vetterman can tell you which exhaust you will need if you go with a cold air sump.

Good luck

Peter

I have a superior io360. My engine builder (Mattituck) went out of business during my build.

Superior answered every call and followed up with ridiculously detailed and personal emailed descriptions to my every question.

I walked into the tent at sun n fun to say thank you for their amazing support.

Different strokes

I walked into their tent at Osh with a buddy of mine that has one of their engines. There were at least 5 Superior folks in that tent. We were there for at least 10 minutes, just us two and them. They never even acknowledged that we were there. They never even made eye contact with us.

Put a bad taste in my mouth and really bothered my friend as well.

Neither of us was buying but they did not know that....

Too bad they spend all that money on a tent spot at Osh and don't even acknowledge potential customers!

Given the choice of the hovering, high pressure salesman and the "we're here if you need us" style, I much more appreciate the later. Sure, there is a better, middle ground, but I have no problem with the passive but available sales force.

I had a recent experience with Superior that demonstrated a very high level of customer service. I'm sorry the OP had a different experience.

Superior Air Parts

Hi, my name is Scott Hayes and I took over sales for Superior Air Parts on Monday of this week. We would love to talk with you all about all of Superior product. My office number is 972-829-4645, email address is [email protected] and my personal cell number is 972-989-4027. I look forward to talking with you all.
Thank you!
Scott Hayes
VP of Sales and Marketing
Superior Air Parts

Welcome to VAF!

Scott,
welcome.gif
to VAF.

Good to have you aboard.

Given the choice of the hovering, high pressure salesman and the "we're here if you need us" style, I much more appreciate the later. Sure, there is a better, middle ground, but I have no problem with the passive but available sales force.

I had a recent experience with Superior that demonstrated a very high level of customer service. I'm sorry the OP had a different experience.

Trust me I hate high pressure sales as well. In this case however, they never even acknowledged that we were there. I followed up with them via email after the show and got an apology but then a line of excuses. There was no excuse for what we experienced.

They do (or at least did at one point) have a great product. My friend's engine is awesome. The group working the tent at the big show needs some work....

Hi, my name is Scott Hayes and I took over sales for Superior Air Parts on Monday of this week. We would love to talk with you all about all of Superior product. My office number is 972-829-4645, email address is [email protected] and my personal cell number is 972-989-4027. I look forward to talking with you all.
Thank you!
Scott Hayes
VP of Sales and Marketing
Superior Air Parts

Welcome Scott!

Last edited:
I have the superior IO360 with cold air sump. I was very happy with the old company & their service. I've not needed anything from the new company.

Mine was the old ryton sump & Superior paid me $1000 to install the new sump & provided the new sump at no charge.
My engine has performed flawlessy over the past 7 years.

Vetterman had a special exhaust for my setup & I bought it through Vans.

BTW, I was very happy to here Suprior came back as I'm sure they want to support the old along with the new business.
Last thing I wanted was to have an orphaned engine.

Last edited:
Back