What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing at Oshkosh after airshow?

odens_14

Well Known Member
I'm reading the Notam for the 7th time before my first flight to oshkosh and am becoming increasingly worried about trying to arrive after the airshow on Friday. Per the notam the field will reopen 30 min after the end of the airshow (~7pm) and all aircraft have to be parked engines off by 8pm. My concern is that it will be a mad dash for that hour with people like me trying to get in after work.

Am I better off just taking off with the sun on Saturday morning? It's only a 2.5 hr flight for me so I could be on the grounds relatively early however I am not a morning person so I would rather get in Friday night. Has anyone flown the arrival after the airshow that could give me a pirep?

Thanks!

From the ground pirep

I have never flown in after the air show as I am a morning person but I have stayed in Ripon plenty of nights during the show. I love sitting outside at a bar/restaurant drinking a cold one and glad I am not 1000 ft up. You can tell exactly when OSH reopens after the airshow. It is a mad house of airplanes coming from every direction and converging for my pleasure right over me at Ripon. Not sure what is like at the other end but the beginning of the line looks pretty scary.

Am I better off just taking off with the sun on Saturday morning? It's only a 2.5 hr flight for me so I could be on the grounds relatively early however I am not a morning person so I would rather get in Friday night. Has anyone flown the arrival after the airshow that could give me a pirep?

Thanks!

Have gone in after the airshow many times: one day of flying for 10-12 hrs from AZ depending on type. Have a waiting place planned: usually C47 Portage. Listen for the ATIS to come up (The show can run over by a few minutes). On Friday evening there will be many out-bounds so your trip inbound will not be AS congested as it is on Monday or Tuesday. There will be some parking spaces open also...It's not scary if you know what you are doing and the pilots in front and behind do too...

I've flown out of Oshkosh many times after the airshow concludes and the airport re-opens. It seems to be that the vast majority of the traffic at that time is departing traffic... and a lot of it westbound, taking off from runway 27.

Every evening I've left Oshkosh after the airshow and headed west toward Wautoma where we stayed in motels in years past, I always though that I would really not enjoy it very much to be inbound from Fisk at that time with all that westbound departing traffic coming at me and not all of them staying on a heading of 270 or keeping at or below 1300 MSL like they're supposed to do.

Arrival

I've done it a few times.
I'd get to the hold a 5 -10 min before the hour, slow down and enjoy the view.
I was usually one of the first and seemed to beat most incoming and departing traffic.

Have fun!!!!!

It's usually a mad dash for about 30 minutes after the show, then it slows to a trickle. I'd plan to be over Rippn about 7:15 and you'll likely sail right in

Back