What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ideas on maintaining leather?

turbo

Well Known Member
anyone have any ideas on a product for cleaning and preserving leather seats? thanks.

For maintaining and touch-up, Lexol works well. If you really need to clean and treat, google Leatherique.

Soap and oil

I have always used saddle soap when things are really dirty. Once you get the dirt off, then preserve with some high quality oil-based leather conditioner.

Of course, once you get it looking nice again, preventative preservation is the key to long lasting, nice looking leather unless you like the 30 year old pimp caddy seat look.

My family has been in the leather business for 6 generations.

leather dressing Rx

Pecard's "motorcycle leather lotion" http://www.pecard.com/ is great stuff for preserving leather once cleaned.

Works well on smooth leather; does not leave an oily/sticky residue (which would attract dirt, making for a nasty abrasive, which in turn wears out the leather faster...)

FYI, you can buy this in motorcycle supply stores that sport the bar and shield as Harley Davidson motorcycle leather dressing.

Woolite to clean

You can use Woolite to clean the leather.Mix it up 10:1 (10 water:1 woolite) in a squirt bottle. Then, mist it onto the leather, and wipe with a microfiber towel. works great.
Mother's or Meguire's both make fantastic conditioners. Pick it up on the aviaiton isle at you local NAPA,Pepboys, etc...

Third vote for Lexol.
An auto restoration magazine I used to subscribe to did a test a while back with about two dozen different leather cleaners and conditioners over an extended period. Their opinion was the Lexol products were best. I use them on the seats in my Sunday car and like the ease of use and results.

Leatherique is the preferred stuff of the antique car set, but it is pricey. Two step and works great; I wouldn't use anything else. Just opposite of most products--treat first, then clean. Avoid ArmourAll and such like the plague! No silicon on good leather.

Bob

I've been using Perrone products lately, recommended by Oregon Aero which did the leather on my seats. I also have used leatherique in the past, its good stuff as well.

Back