What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Let's talk about you, how do you like my spinner?

Captain_John

Well Known Member
Man, I just love the way this looks!

It is a Hartzell polished job.

Whatcha think?

cowl fitted.jpg

;) CJ

Thats sweet

Very nice....better be as fast as it looks...dont want you just looking good without some follow through.:D

No doubt...

Actually, the big gaps between the spinner and the prop creates a lot of drag, as do the lips around them...sorry, but it's true.

Best, Pierre

Amen brother, proven fact.

V/R
Smokey

PS: Appears to be a Cessna 310 Spinner, lots of em on HR2's....

Thanks guys.

It is a c-3532 spinner with a 2294 bulkhead. Yes, it seems to have been from a Mooney M-20. I got it off ebay and am going to give it a whirl, literally I suppose!

As far as getting it lined up, yes the diameter is an inch larger than Vans so it does come a bit proud of the cowl inlets, perhaps 1/8" on each side?

Pierre and Smoky ray are right, it will be trailing behind the pack about .0437599 knots slower, but I don't care.

Thanks to Les from Hartzell for hooking me up with all the technical data I needed.

This is why we are building experimental planes, isn't it? So we can customize them the way we want to?

:cool: CJ

CJ,
I think you're gonna have a tough time getting the cowl to match... :D

Moose, this is why i posted the thread. I want input from my fellow builders to make this work. Aside from the diameter being larger and having to contour the lower cowling to match it, what other issues do you think I might need to address?

:confused: CJ

Moose, this is why i posted the thread. I want input from my fellow builders to make this work. Aside from the diameter being larger and having to contour the lower cowling to match it, what other issues do you think I might need to address?

:confused: CJ

CJ,
I was talking about the chrome... :D :D

You already know you'll have to build up the cowl (not just the lower cowl...top & sides too) behind the spinner to get a good match...why not consider installing a set of Sam James inlet rings too? That way you can build up the sides as needed without worrying about closing off too much of the rectangular inlets.

HA! OK, I gotcha!

I was just thinking about how sweet a totally tin and polished cowling would look! Can you imagine the work involved?!?

To be perfectly honest with you, I am highly allergic (for real) to curing epoxy resin. I can't even get near the stuff! I am going to get this all fitted and leave the details to others. I simply cannot do it.

I know some people who could probably do it for me and have it look good. Perhaps, no probably a better job than I could do myself!

Lots more to do!!!

:) CJ

Weight a minute...

This is why we are building experimental planes, isn't it? So we can customize them the way we want to? CJ

Absolutely John. I will add: to fly economically and Experiment. Most anything you can bolt on an RV (or Rocket) has already been tried and tested, chrome Mooney spinners notwithstanding...

V/R
Smokey

See anything familiar?

Last edited:
Bob, Those are the fastest pair of -4's I have ever seen!!!

I am not sure if it is because of the spinners or the IO-540's behind them!!!

hahahaha

That looks AWESOME! That is my goal right there!

The Marilyn Monroe pointy thing going on. That picture of the Rockets together reminds me of this picture:

BLOG_BOBNICK_01.jpg

:D CJ

Back