What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tanks

mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Having started watching the Mothership tank video, I am tempted to ask why do Vans not offer pre built tanks for all the range ?

OK, it may impact on the 51% rule, but it is easy to defer some more straightforward stuff in lieu of these safety critical parts.

IMHO after building 6 fuel tanks (and with the disclaimer that 4 of them haven't flown yet) the tanks aren't really any more difficult than the rest of the build - just messier. And personally, I think they're fun. The prebuilt spars and weldments are a much better investment of their time, especially from a safety and quality standpoint.

Besides, I think there are already third-party providers who will build tanks for you, in exchange for currency.

IMHO after building 6 fuel tanks (and with the disclaimer that 4 of them haven't flown yet) the tanks aren't really any more difficult than the rest of the build - just messier. And personally, I think they're fun. The prebuilt spars and weldments are a much better investment of their time, especially from a safety and quality standpoint.

Besides, I think there are already third-party providers who will build tanks for you, in exchange for currency.

I’m with you on this one. And it’s really not that bad, mess wise, if you build them using the Fay Seal method.

tank worries

Morning Mike
Enter into the world of wonder and build the tanks yourself. I built my RV-6 tanks 28 years ago and had never done it before. Was it messy YES!!!
Greggs video on tank building was a nice helper for me to build new tanks for my RV-6A just this past week.
I used the whole can of sealer on the first set but finished the second set yesterday using only half a can.
His video helped me control some of the mess and as they say" When you get done you say. "I don't think they will leak" OR, You say " I know they won't leak" Mine won't leak.
Greggs video will give you the confidence to get it right the first time.
Just think before you mix. What did I miss???? How about the tab to secure the vent line to the filler port flange.
Yes I missed them so I prosealed the vent line in place.
Go for it. You will be proud of yourself for the learning experience.
Enjoy the journey Art

Back