What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator bracket

spadman94

I'm New Here
I have an RV-9A with the Lyc O-320-B2C (160 hp). The alt failed, and when I went to remove it, I saw that one of the tabs of the alt bracket was broken. The bracket is made up of two “L”-shaped brackets, one almost twice as long as the other, rather than the “U”-shaped brackets I’m more familiar with. The two “L” brackets slide over each other to allow for various-sized alternators, and are attached to the crankcase with four bolts.

Does anyone have a part number for this bracket or know where I could get one? Any help wud be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Attachments

• FC14CAB2-6D44-464C-BF7E-C660F31970D5.jpg
    FC14CAB2-6D44-464C-BF7E-C660F31970D5.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 346
I have an RV-9A with the Lyc O-320-B2C (160 hp). The alt failed, and when I went to remove it, I saw that one of the tabs of the alt bracket was broken. The bracket is made up of two “L”-shaped brackets, one almost twice as long as the other, rather than the “U”-shaped brackets I’m more familiar with. The two “L” brackets slide over each other to allow for various-sized alternators, and are attached to the crankcase with four bolts.

Does anyone have a part number for this bracket or know where I could get one? Any help wud be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Have seen those before. It is possible that one of the airframe manufacturers use that on a certificated airplane and ended up on your engine from the airplane it came out of.

What brand of alternator do you have? IF it is a non-certificated alternator, you may be able to get a replacement bracket where ever the alternator came from. IF you buy a new alternator from B & C, you can get a bracket with the new alternator. Last time I checked, B & C would sell just an alternator bracket if the one you got from them broke. This may or may not work with the alternator that you are using.

RV-9 Alt Bracket

The alternator is an automotive part, Wilson, and so far, haven’t been able to find an auto parts store that knows how to get one of these.

I saw a pic of a similar bracket in a pic on Barnstormers, but owner didn’t know anything abt it, other than that it came with the engine.

Appreciate ur comments. Thanx.

If you have all the pieces, that might be able to be repaired, or copied by yourself or any halfway competent welder/fabricator.
Danny Bond is at Petersburg, he could do something with that.

If memory serves, that was the bracket Van’s sold perhaps 20 years ago.

I suggest calling Van’s and see if you can order the bracket they are using in the current alternator install kit.

Carl

If memory serves, that was the bracket Van’s sold perhaps 20 years ago.

I suggest calling Van’s and see if you can order the bracket they are using in the current alternator install kit.

Carl

Agree - that was the old Van’s design, one that I actually liked because it was easy to fit things up. Was sad to see it superseded...

That steninertractor bracket @ $35 sure does look promising and would probably work very well as old tractors and Lycoming are of the same technology vintage

On a separate note how's the grass growing? Well I hope.

Might have this

Just went through a engine rebuild. New case and new alt. Old brackett didn’t work. I can look tomorrow and let you know if it is the same

RV-9Alt Bracket

I want to thank all of you who took the time to give suggestions and ideas for my alt bracket problem. It looks like the Steiner ABC-404 will fit the bill well. I’ll post a pic when it is all together again, most likely after the first of the year. Thanx again, and wishing all a Merry Christmas and a much more enjoyable 2021.

If you can find a Delco-Remy 1961205 bracket, that will do the trick. It was universal bracket made for short block Chevys, back in the day. They come up on eBay for $40-$50 once in a while. (There’s one on eBay now.)

DW

Back