What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon verses Garmin

the biggest factor against garmin is their flat rate repair pricing, a bad button costs a much as a fried motherboard.

We have an Avidyne IFD440 in our 172, and the annual data subscription for that device is $299 for the navdata, and I purchase it from Jeppesen.

My experience dealing with Jepp - since being taken over by Boeing - has not been great. When I bought my 420W Jepp was the sole source for nav data. Then Garmin started supplying it, and for less than Jepp. If you talked to a real person at Jepp, they would match Garmin’s price (specifically, they offered $440 but for 1.5 years). But last July, they refused to renew me under those terms. I’d really like to know what Boeing management thinks it’s doing.

My experience dealing with Jepp - since being taken over by Boeing - has not been great. When I bought my 420W Jepp was the sole source for nav data. Then Garmin started supplying it, and for less than Jepp. If you talked to a real person at Jepp, they would match Garmin’s price (specifically, they offered $440 but for 1.5 years). But last July, they refused to renew me under those terms. I’d really like to know what Boeing management thinks it’s doing.

The $299/yr figure I quoted above is straight off their website, you can see it yourself. I obviously can't speak about your experience, but mine was as expected and reasonable. I was worried about it at first too, considering the reputation that Jepp has accumulated like a dirty portapotty over the years, but I was pleasantly surprised. We started that subscription in June this year.

We just want to clarify what the pricing structure looks like to keep the databases for a G3X Touch and GTN up to date. It is important to differentiate between the databases needed for the certified GTN IFR GPS Navigator, and the G3X Touch, they are purchased separately.

G3X Touch Databases

For aircraft operating in the United States, the G3X Touch databases can be updated for $49.99 a year, by purchasing the US Mini Database Bundle. This will update the Navigation database, Terrain Database, Obstacle Database, and Safetaxi database.

There are several supplemental databases available for the G3X Touch, including IFR en-route charts, VFR sectional charts, Airport directory and Garmin Flitecharts (procedure charts). These can be updated, along with the previously mentioned databases, for an additional $100 per year.

US Mini Database Bundle - $49.95

Or

US Database Bundle - $149.95

GTN 6XX/7XX Databases

The navigation database for the GTN 650 can be updated for $299.00 per year. You have the option of updating the other databases on the GTN 650, but the information that would be included would be identical to the information that exists in the G3X Touch supplemental databases, so many find it sufficient to update the Navigation database only.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,
Are the G3X databases per aircraft or per screen?

All -
One of the things I was considering when I went with Garmin was the resale value. I would tend to think that a lot of people who didn't know a much about the subject would choose Garmin over Dynon just because they know the Garmin name or have experience with it in a G1000 Cessna or their car.

Personally, I think the Garmin displays/graphics are more professional looking. I was impressed with the brightness Dynon screens my buddy's plane.

the biggest factor against garmin is their flat rate repair pricing, a bad button costs a much as a fried motherboard.

Agreed; the flat rate repair is the most frustrating thing in my mind with Garmin Avionics, and I would hope they’d reconsider this pricing structure...but I’m not going to hold my breath.

Unfortunately for us, with the density of electronics in these units, the effort to replace a bad button makes it just as expensive as replacing the entire motherboard.

What Garmin should do is collect the "bad switch" electronics, repair them in their downtime, and sell them as refurbished units. Like they and other manufacturers do for other products. Then there would be a slightly cheaper option for anyone willing to use a refurbished unit.

Unfortunately for us, with the density of electronics in these units, the effort to replace a bad button makes it just as expensive as replacing the entire motherboard.

Sorry, but that's just laughable on face value. It doesn't cost $1400 worth of labor to open the box and diagnose a bad button/switch.

It doesn't cost $1400 worth of labor to open the box and diagnose a bad button/switch.

It is if people are willing to pay it. You may not agree or like it but apparently enough people are willing and that makes it a viable business option for them.

Last edited:
Avidyne IFD Data Cost

I have an Avidyne IFD550 and a Garmin GTN650 in my RV-10 and this is what I pay for the databases per year:

• IFD550 Full USA NAV Data $299
  • GTN650 Full USA NAV Data $299
  • AFS/Dynon Map Database is free $0
  • Seattle Avionics VFR Sectional, IFR Low, Approach Plates, Airport Diagrams $99

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Database Cost

Justin,
Are the G3X databases per aircraft or per screen?

All -
One of the things I was considering when I went with Garmin was the resale value. I would tend to think that a lot of people who didn't know a much about the subject would choose Garmin over Dynon just because they know the Garmin name or have experience with it in a G1000 Cessna or their car.

Personally, I think the Garmin displays/graphics are more professional looking. I was impressed with the brightness Dynon screens my buddy's plane.

Good Afternoon,

For the US mini database bundle, the cost is $49.95 for the aircraft, not per display.

Thanks,

Justin

You'll note the poster is or was also a salesman of sorts. My guess is for demo purposes.

Referring to Rob Hickman only as a “salesman” is the same as referring to Dick VanGrunsven as “that guy who sells RV kits”.....:rolleyes:

For those that don’t know, Rob is the creator of the AFS line of EFIS’s (among other things).

You'll note the poster is or was also a salesman of sorts. My guess is for demo purposes.

Paul also addressed in his post. Here are some more details. Rob originally installed a GTN650 in his RV-10, just many of us did because there were no ifr gps navigators AP on the market at the time of the build.

Fast forward a couple years forward and now there is competition on the market. AFS integrated the Avidyne with the AFS 5000 series of EFIS. Rob’s RV-10 is the primary test platform for AFS. He needs to maintain a platform to test both units.

If you follow Rob or AFS on FB, he posts many a photo and short message about about testing this or that new feature. It’s hard to be more transparent than Rob.

The fact that there's a g3xpert monitoring this site and NO DYxpert, ADVxpert, GRTxpert nor MGLxpert says something.

While my panel is full of Garmin goodies, this is simply not true.

Dynon, AFS, and MGL have many inside regulars on this forum. GRT not so much these days.

Rob will always have my respect. The list of contributors to the experimental avionics market that can compete with Rob's overwhelming positive impact in this field is very short.

Ok, both good units. But why one of each?

When I finished my RV-10 I had a GNS430W and SL30 with dual NAV antennas connected to our first prototype AF-4500 EFIS screens. This is the setup that I used to get my instrument rating in the RV-10, including the check ride. It has had many panel upgrades in the last 11 years. When the GTN650 was released, it replaced my 430 and made instrument flying much easier. When AFS started selling Avidyne IFD units, I replaced the SL30 with an IFD540 and kept the GTN650 since I already had 2 NAV antennas. When Avidyne brought out the IFD550 with internal AHRS I swapped the IFD540 for the new IFD550.

Having both a GTN650 and IFD550 in the same plane, it's easy for us to test new EFIS software-we have customers with Avidyne and customers with Garmin. Since we are just down the road from Van's, I end up flying a lot of potential customers in the RV-10 and it gives them a chance to experience both units.

48316072506_29201a39cf_b.jpg

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Advanced Flight Systems - Dynon Avionics

AFS & Garmin Hybrid A good option?

I'm in the process of building a 14A and am a long way away from these decisions but based on what I know today I'm planning to go with AFS/Dynon with a Garmin 175 WAAS GPS for IFR or as Rob mentioned in one of his webinars "Light IFR". I'm a recreational private pilot that only uses my IFR ticket to poke up and poke down....never would I intentionally embark on a trip that would require flying down to minimums. Granted there is always the chance that the weather changes and you might have to anyway...but that is never my intent. That navigator costs 1/3 of what the NAV/COM/GPS systems cost....why isn't that being discussed as an idea on this forum? Is there something about that setup that I'm missing? I don't plan on installing a NAV at this time.

That navigator costs 1/3 of what the NAV/COM/GPS systems cost....why isn't that being discussed as an idea on this forum? Is there something about that setup that I'm missing? I don't plan on installing a NAV at this time.

It costs about 1/3 because it's missing the other 2/3: the nav and the com.
Seriously, flying IFR is all about risk management. What if .....? If you are a higher risk taker, you fly with minimal equipment. And if a key piece of equipment dies at just the wrong time, you die. If you are a lower risk taker, you have a certified gps, an uncertified gps, and 2 nav radios, 2 coms, 3 EFIS/attitude indicators, and maybe 2 engines and a copilot. Even so, if everything goes wrong you can still die! In between higher and lower risk, in between with equipment. That's why with every 1000 posters you'll get 1000 different opinions. What are you comfortable with?

Those are very valid points.

I guess I should clarify: my intent is to still have dual Coms, dual adhrs, dual efis screens but to utilize the garmin navigator for ifr enroute and approach. I understand the lack of vor is a risk but including the iPad there are 5 GPS receivers at least. Now if the entire gps system went down I would imagine you could get a vector but that seems like a remote risk.

I know there is no “right” answer here. I guess I’m just trying to make sure I’m not missing something with the hybrid setup.

Thank you for the reply Bob!

Back