What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Antisplat just installed

FNG

I just installed my antisplat II nose job. I think this is the cheapest insurance you can have against nose gear failure. It was easy to install and the people at Antisplat aero are great. If you have an A series RV...get this done!

FNG

Get the lip skid too. I have both on my 6A.

And I have his gust lock, thinking about the easy out bar, and maybe someday the Almost a 14 mod.

I just installed my antisplat II nose job. I think this is the cheapest insurance you can have against nose gear failure. It was easy to install and the people at Antisplat aero are great. If you have an A series RV...get this done!

FNG

It is a great product but not a guarantee and substitute for a careful and babying the nose gear. There has been at least one nose over with the brace on.

Antisplat

I think any nose gear RV should have the Antisplat products installed during construction.

I also have many other items from them and they are great to work with!! Hats off to Allen and team!

Very happy customer :)

I think any nose gear RV should have the Antisplat products installed during construction.

I also have many other items from them and they are great to work with!! Hats off to Allen and team!

Very happy customer :)

RV10 and 14 have a completely different type of nose gear and this product will only serve as extra weight on the nose of their plane.

Call me a rebel then I guess....... still flying my RV-6A with the original (tall) nose fork, from an airport with a grass runway with no anti anything :eek:

It's a shame the design isn't such that aftermarket reinforcements aren't a near defacto requirement...

My brother and have a -7A. We have about 1400 hours on it. It has at least 1800 landings on it including grass. We have never had an problem with the nose gear. Believe me. If the nose gear had an inherent problem, Van would be on it. As an example, ours is kit number 221. Just as we were completing our rudder, Van announced that he was sending all -7 builders a -9 rudder because the -7 didn’t recover from a spin as quickly as a -6. It still came out within FAA guidelines. Now, RV’s have no tendency to spin. Most builders don’t spin them and Van recommends that you do not spin the side by side airplanes. By the way, we kept our original-8 rudder. Looks better. But he sent out at least 221 -9 rudder kits free of charge. That cost Van a lot of money. You know Van studied the nose gear very carefully after a few people had problems and concluded that there was not an inherent flaw. He did issue a service bulletin that cut about two inches off of the threaded end and required a new yoke design. The owner bore the cost. The changed raised the nose gear mounting nut about two inches higher.
If you look very carefully at the nose strut, it is not tapered. It is 1.02” at the nose wheel yoke. About midway up, it is.094”. At engine mount it is 1.12”. The strut is designed to flex at the thinnest point. Van is a brilliant engineer. He didn’t just pull the nose gear design out of thin air. The problem with the Anti-Splat is it removes the flex point that Van designed in and transferred the stress to top of the strut where it is attached to the engine mount where Van did not intend the gear to flex.

Last edited:
My brother and have a -7A. We have about 1400 hours on it. It has at least 1800 landings on it including grass. We have never had an problem with the nose gear. Believe me. If the nose gear had an inherent problem, Van would be on it. As an example, ours is kit number 221. Just as we were completing our rudder, Van announced the he was sending all -7 builders a -9 rudder because the -7 didn?t recover from a spin as quickly as a -6. It still came out within FAA guidelines. Now, RV?s have no tendency to spin. Most builders don?t spin them and Van recommends that you do not spin the side by side airplanes. But he sent out at least 221 -9 rudder kits free of charge. That cost Van a lot of money. You know Van studied the nose gear very carefully after a few people had a problems and concluded that there was not an inherent flaw. He did issue a service bulletin that cut about an inch of the threaded end and required a new yoke design. The owner bore the cost. The changed raised the nose gear mounting nut about two inches higher.
If you look very carefully at the nose strut, it is not tapered. It is 1.02? at the nose wheel yoke. About midway up, it is.094?. At engine mount it is 1.12?. The strut is designed to flex at the thinnest point. Van is a brilliant engineer. He didn?t just pull the nose gear design out of thin air. The problem with the Anti-Splat is it removes the flex point that Van designed in and transferred the stress to top of the strut where it is attached to the engine mount where Van did not intend the gear to flex.

Call me a rebel then I guess....... still flying my RV-6A with the original (tall) nose fork, from an airport with a grass runway with no anti anything :eek:

+1 on the original (tall) nose fork. Over 1400 hrs. on my -7A with no anti anything. I mostly fly off of pavement, but don't shy away from grass. I just land on the mains, keep the stick aft while taxiing and check the nose tire every 3-4 weeks to keep it up to 40 psi.

The problem with the Anti-Splat is it removes the flex point that Van designed in and transferred the stress to top of the strut where it is attached to the engine mount where Van did not intend the gear to flex.

I am still building, but have installed the "Nose Job" on my 7A. It does not contact the leg on either end and allows the gear to act as a spring and flex unless the gear were to start to curl aft with a fair amount of force. There is about .250 beneath the "C" shaped bracket at the top and slightly less at the bottom, but still a gap. I am sure if there is significant fore/aft motion during taxing and takeoff/landing it will kiss the gear leg but I am not sure how much is transferred up to the engine mount without a considerable oscillation

Last edited:
Back