What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

15.3.3 experience

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Friday, I decided to load the new operating update for the Dynon Touch system. We have the Touch with 2 10 inch displays as well as the Dynon Radio, AP, and Baro panels. After downloading from the website (directly to a usb drive) I was a bit concerned because the download took no more than 3 seconds. I thought I missed something so I redid the process with the same results. I'm guessing it is a compressed file because a lot more info was to be uploaded onto the aircraft. In the airplane I followed the instructions on my left screen and everything went smoothly at first. After some pretty extensive uploading, the system seemed to be finished and stopped with caution messages that not everything had been loaded onto the system. I waited a couple of minutes and did a HARD reboot. After booting up, the system continued loading more files. This happened the same way one more time. I rebooted again and the final files were loaded onto the aircraft. I followed the instructions and found that every system showed a ready state. Whew! I then proceeded to load the second screen and this time, everything updated without a reboot. I just thought that this info might be useful to others as I hadn't read of the reboots being a normal part of the process. We haven't been able to try out the system yet because of weather but the only thing that jumped out at me was a shutdown button was now available after turning off the power making the 30 second auto turnoff unnecessary. (I know, I could have always held down button 1 in order to accomplish the same thing but apparently some operators were not aware of this feature.) Hope this helps.

the only thing that jumped out at me was a shutdown button was now available after turning off the power making the 30 second auto turnoff unnecessary.

This button (If I am recalling correctly) has been available for quite a while so I am guessing you updated from quite an old release level? Maybe that is what made it load incrementally, because I have never seen that happen.

A lot is going on with those downloads. With the first display, software is loaded for itself and other installed components. Everything including the servos need to be powered for the updates. Updating the components is part of the reason the first display takes longer. Not sure about 15.3 but usually the engine monitor and other components are Xed out until all displays are updated. Other displays must have their software updated for it and the connected components to work. If there is new software for the transponder (rare), it needs to be loaded separately. Everything might take 10 minutes or so, don't interrupt, it's busy.

Back