What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Turbulence mode?

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
I love my TT DF2 VSGV. It tracks a course perfectly, flies the approach almost as good as the meat servo, holds an altitude perfectly. But, it is missing one feature, "Turbulence mode". When it gets to a certain level of "bumpy", I hand fly it. In the bumps I'm fine with a few hundred feet and a few degrees track deviation as opposed to compounding the bumps by continuously pushing the airplane around. I wish the autopilot had a discrete switch or mode that I could tell it to turn the gains way down and just give me a smooth average of a general altitude and direction for this flight.

Our new autopilots (and the Sorcerer) have a mode that will help with that. Altitude hold modes in moderate/heavy turbulence can get uncomfortable. It's not a "Turbulence Mode" but it is a different mode than altitude hold. Shoot me an email or message if you'd like some more info. We always offer some sort of upgrade path. :)

More Info Please

Our new autopilots (and the Sorcerer) have a mode that will help with that. Altitude hold modes in moderate/heavy turbulence can get uncomfortable. It's not a "Turbulence Mode" but it is a different mode than altitude hold. Shoot me an email or message if you'd like some more info. We always offer some sort of upgrade path. :)

Lucas, Is this something that is already in the new A/P's? Gemini? Upcoming Firmware upgrade?

I would be interested in how it works

just put it in attitude mode and it will not try to change on every little altitude change. it is a special T-mode or turbo mode. carry on. turbo out.
IMG_0400copy.jpg

does the vizion already have this or is there an upgrade for it?
Alan
RV10 N668G

Lucas, Is this something that is already in the new A/P's? Gemini? Upcoming Firmware upgrade?

I would be interested in how it works

does the vizion already have this or is there an upgrade for it?
Alan
RV10 N668G

Both the Gemini AP and Vizion have it already. Essentially, just dial the selected vertical speed to 0, instead of selecting an altitude to hold.

Lucas,
Thanks I thought that's what the Vizion did.
Another question I have for you if you don't mind. When doing a GPS approach do you recommend using my EFIS(AFS4500) to control the vizion or coupling the vizion to the 430W?
Alan

It sounds like they should be low pass filtering the altitude input. In smooth conditions it would make no difference and in bumpy conditions it would take an average.

Well, ok, it sounds good in theory - I can hear the control system engineers groaning....:rolleyes: but my point is that the control laws themselves might not be the issue, it could be the input signal conditioning that needs tweaking.

Not to hijack this thread; but Lucas, on my Vizion I find it very hard to interpret the trim bars. I cant tell if they are scrolling up or down and which way that indicates trim is needed. Replacing the bars with arrows would be nice...

Lucas,
Thanks I thought that's what the Vizion did.
Another question I have for you if you don't mind. When doing a GPS approach do you recommend using my EFIS(AFS4500) to control the vizion or coupling the vizion to the 430W?
Alan

There's actually no difference. The AFS is most likely sending the GNS430 information directly to the autopilot as it is.

Not to hijack this thread; but Lucas, on my Vizion I find it very hard to interpret the trim bars. I cant tell if they are scrolling up or down and which way that indicates trim is needed. Replacing the bars with arrows would be nice...

If you have electric trim, you can add an automatic trim module to the system and then you don't have to worry about it. :) Let me know if you're interested. Thanks!

Back