What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NTSB recommends AD for certain oil filter adapters

Thanks! I forwarded that over to the Mooneyspace forums since the M20K was called out specifically.

As a former 182/TCM O470 owner, I recall there was an AD quite a few years ago on the original TCM filter adaptor. (The jam nut could loosen, the adaptor would then rattle around and destroy the internal threads). It seems odd that a relatively simple part could cause so much trouble!

that is probably the worst design I have ever seen

There are many hundreds if not thousands of customers waiting on your better design, me included. Properly installed and torqued they’re dry as a bone. If you torque it by the TFAR (that feels about right) method you’re going to have problems. You do have to be careful when removing and installing filters to prevent movement of the adapter relative to the accessory case. It that happens it WILL leak, and you WON’T stop it until you replace the gaskets/seals at both ends and properly retorque the assembly.

KatieB thanks for posting this. I have been thinking about putting one of these on our C-182B towplane. To Steve Melton's comment, it is true that what they had to work with is a pretty marginal sealing surface area, just asking to be disturbed. But, as longranger points out, it is about all that could be done with what they have to work with. I think with proper awareness and care, it can be adequately serviceable.

Not to start a Continental vs. Lycoming battle, (or maybe yeah, game on!) but the more I work with the O-470, the more I appreciate Lycoming's somewhat less primitive approach to many details.

Have you seen any timing marks on a Continental O-470?

I've installed a few of these over the years and they can be a pain to get them to not leak and to stay tight.

Have you seen any timing marks on a Continental O-470?

I’ve not worked on an O-470, but my O-300 is of similar if not older vintage, and there are marks on the edge of the prop flange that you are somehow supposed to align with the case split several inches away. Fortunately I inherited my Dad’s TimeRite...

I’m looking forward to what improvements a “modern” Lycoming whose basic design only dates back to the 1950s (as opposed to the 1930s and 40s) has to offer.

Still looking... to this point with my limited Continental experience, I’ve had to rely on the old piston stop/spinner dunce hat method.

Yup, you find TDC with a finger in a spark plug hole, and then put a protractor on the spinner, held on with rubber bands. And heaven forbid you bump it while doing the timing, or you start over.

Back