What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fun Thanksgiving Flight

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
We had a great day the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Four planes met up for breakfast and did a quick flight. The mission was to fly to a small strip east of Heber, UT called ThunderRidge Airpark. As we came over the mountain, the whole area was fogged in. We didn't get to land but had fun shooting some video and taking pictures. I still need to edit the video.
The pictures were taken by myself and Nyle Strasburg.

IMG_3377-XL.jpg

IMG_3407-XL.jpg

IMG_3421-XL.jpg

IMG_3473-XL.jpg

IMG_2004-XL.jpg

IMG_2007-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Your shot of the wing tiedown mount is interesting to me, you not only have a jam nut in place, but there is still some threaded shank left on the mount.

I have the same mount, and it seems that the threaded shank is not long enough for me to mount the same way you have it------I am concerned that there would not be enough thread engagement into the tiedown plate, and therefore have not even tried to use it.

I do like the over the wing mount---------looks like a great unit.

Did you open up the hole in the lower skin so the jam nut would be able to seat against the tiedown plate??

IMG_3345-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Your shot of the wing tiedown mount is interesting to me, you not only have a jam nut in place, but there is still some threaded shank left on the mount.

I have the same mount, and it seems that the threaded shank is not long enough for me to mount the same way you have it------I am concerned that there would not be enough thread engagement into the tiedown plate, and therefore have not even tried to use it.

I do like the over the wing mount---------looks like a great unit.

Did you open up the hole in the lower skin so the jam nut would be able to seat against the tiedown plate??

There was plenty of thread in the tie-down. The jam nut barely fits inside the hole in the skin. On the other side the alignment of the skin is off just enough that is won't work. I would have to open it up more.

Pop over the next hill and say hello!

Hey Scott, just a little farther in RV-10 time is Glenwood Springs. Pop on over for lunch on me! I would love to see your plane.
Im going to be in SLC just after Christmas for a few days visiting kids - grandkids. Maybe we could get together and I could see your plane then?

Very cool pictures - looks like a bunch of fun.

Hey Scott, just a little farther in RV-10 time is Glenwood Springs. Pop on over for lunch on me! I would love to see your plane.
Im going to be in SLC just after Christmas for a few days visiting kids - grandkids. Maybe we could get together and I could see your plane then?

Very cool pictures - looks like a bunch of fun.

Sounds great, let me know when your in town.

Back