What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vents

T.O.Craig

Well Known Member
Hi to all,
I'm getting ready to install the windshield and would like to cut 2 holes for venting the avionics. I looked at McMaster-Carr but didn't like what I saw

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Craig, Here is how I finished off the glare shield. I cut out two holes for standard computer fans, fabricated a doubler, covered the glare shield with Grosspoint fabric, fabricated a couple of deflectors to keep stuff from falling into the avionics and to act like a defroster in the winter. I have not had any issues with 100 deg. days whatsoever. I also of course have a separate avionics cooling fan for the 430 and transponder. Photos below.

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

None

I've got none, never needed them in 450 hours except for rare occasions when I fire up in the very cold mornings and have more than me on board. Opening the door during warmup/taxi solves the problem immediately and it never recurs once in flight. Your climate/humidity/temps may be different, but I am glad I did not put them in.

Two 80mm fans. We use them on ALL flights below 40F as a defroster. Four people put out a lot of moisture. We also use them above 60F for avionics cooling. No additional fans like Bill P., with no problems on 100F sunny day. Flat black painted, uninsulated glare shield. I am sure Bill's avionics appreciate the extra cooling though.

Thanks to All

Great info for cooling. Seems like there are several sources for them. I will order them today

Back