What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lifting the nose wheel for maintenance

turbo

Well Known Member
imageckuf.jpg

my supply of oil was a plenty this year after sun n fun so i took advantage of the opportunity.

it is my habit of doing all wheel maintenance before the summer season.

see you all in the north east soon. :):)

your weight and balance may vary, first ipad mini photo in VAF. i like it.

Last edited:
good idea

I've often thought about mounting a d-ring in the floor of my hanger to lift the nose off the ground for nose wheel inspections and to make it easier to remove the lower cowl.

Randy
8A

For the nose wheel, I use a scissors jack placed under the nose wheel fork nut. It does not take much effort to get the nose wheel just off the floor, and then the wheel can be removed for maintenance.

For my -10 I use a nylon rachet strap, looped through 200 lbs. of weights and the tail tie down ring. Use the rachet to remove the slack till the nose wheel clears the ground.

Jim Berry
RV-10

For just lifting it up quickly a mini floor jack works great under the axle nut.

The best thing I found was a ring anchored in the floor and a ratcheting tie-down strap. Just hook it up and ratchet the tail down until the nosewheel comes off the ground.

Resting the tail's tiedown ring on a short stepladder works very well while using sandbags to lay down on either side of the horizontal stabilizer is an inexpensive way to apply the right amount of weight. I use empty plastic cat litter containers filled with sand for this task.

Good luck.

Victor

I use a ratchet strap hooked to a GM 5.7 litre engine block I keep in the hangar for that purpose. The block was surplus when my son bought it for a stroker 383 project but the bearing caps were mismatched; cheaper to get a new block than to line bore it, and taking it to the hangar at least got the lump out of my garage and provided it with a useful, if limited, purpose in life;)

Me Too Mike

I also drilled a hole in the hangar floor with a masonry drill and epoxied a lead lug in the floor. When I need to lift the nose gear I simply screw a ring anchor into the lug and use a racheting strap to pull the tail down and lift the nose--been using this system for yrs.

BTW, the ring anchor is oiled and installed while the epoxy is curing--then removed untill needed.

Cheers,

db

Back