What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

archer tail comm antenna

ribrdb

I'm New Here
Has anyone installed an archer sport model 2 antenna in their tail?
I've heard it will fit if you make a new fiberglass fairing. I don't have the kit yet, but looking at the preview plans I'm having a hard time imagining how you could make it big enough. Do you have to cut off the top of the rudder?
If anyone has pics of how they installed it I'd appreciate it.

Welcome to VAF!

Ryan,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF.

I didn't have much luck getting an answer to that question, years ago. There was an RV-3 that had one, by the the pictures I saw it added quite a bit of height.

I am thinking about building a duplicate vertical stab out of glass/carbon and putting my antenna inside. On my later to do list. :)

In the meantime, I mounted a custom modified RAMI bent whip on top of my tail for when I plan to race later. It is the only comm antenna I have been using, as I have not installed my under wing antenna yet and works just fine for now. SWR measured at 1.2 in place. I get at least 25 mile range talking to center when I was operating near San Marcos. It can be done, but don't expect long range or uniform radiation pattern.

Last edited:
Back