What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upper Intercylinder Baffles for IO-540?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I have a stock YIO-540 (D4A5) and it comes with lower intercylinder baffles. However, I am wondering if upper baffles are available as well to help with cooling? I looked through the Lycoming parts catalog and didn't see an upper set. Are they just used for other models like the IO-360 and not the 540?

I tried making a set of flat plates to block off the big slot between the cylinder fins, and also the area at the case where there is a big leak path.

One flight, and I took them off-----raised the temps 30 or so degrees.

Only thing I can think of is that they caused a lot of turbulence below the plate.

I did not have a wrap of the cylinder fins, only a flap plate that sat on top of the fins.

I think that if I were to wrap the cylinders and install a blocking plate between the cylinders that it would make a difference.

Dan Horton did this cylinder wrap thing on his plane, there are photos here of his work. Fiberglass cloth and RTV. The Rutan pusher guys use this a lot.

Last edited:
It is fairly easy to make cylinder wraps and upper plate to keep the air inside the cylinder fins. I made a curved plate that connects in the same way to the lower baffle plate but just made a longer J bolt.

The upper plate should be curved so the air will want to follow the curved path. Dan's silicone impregnated fiberglass cloth wraps are a very elegant solution.

Sketch below.
gnsm.png

Last edited:
Back