What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank vent

sahrens

Well Known Member
In a discussion about fuel tank vents someone showed me a picture of the Rocket mod. That is the coiling of the vent in the wing root and vented through the bottom skin instead of running the vent up and through the cabin.

I was hoping those that have made that change might give me a pirep of there experience. It worked well, not so well? Would you do it again? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Scott

Works well for me so far, but have not done much traveling yet, so no experience with any sloped ramps or hours in the sun.

I like because no lines in the cabin and it works well with my flush NACA vents.

No issues

in 150 hours on my RV8. It will burp a little fuel on occasion (very hot here in FL) but I don't know if that is peculiar to this configuration exclusively.

Works well for me so far, but have not done much traveling yet, so no experience with any sloped ramps or hours in the sun.

I like because no lines in the cabin and it works well with my flush NACA vents.

Photos! The public demands it!

Photos! The public demands it!

Here is a photo when I had it mounted in my wind tunnel. I made a mold so both were the same.

The back side. The bump is a chamber or manifold that all the small holes open up to and has a swagelock fitting. I use 1/4 Al tubing rolled in a coil to connect.

I will try and take a photo of one installed on the plane tomorrow. Here it is.

Last edited:
Are small NACA scoops available, or did you fab yourself?

I made them myself after reading the test reports for NACA fuel vents and icing that were done. This is actually model #2. Number 1 was a standard NACA scoop with the holes and manifold. This model #2 has the back wall edge rounded to smooth the air flow based on some other info I found. I tested them in my wind tunnel and they gave the same positive pressure as the standard plans curved tube.

I still have the mold. I may have the time to make a couple more. PM me if you want any help.

Back