What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using TurboCAD to import Aeroelectric diagrams?

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
Anyone on here have any success using TurboCAD to design their electrical system? I'm tying to use it to import one of the Aeroelectric diagrams as a starting point, but I'm finding it extremely difficult to work with the imported diagram. Examples - the symbols aren't grouped into a single item that can be manipulated, the connections between components don't move when you move the component, etc. I'm sure I'm not doing something correctly here.

Thanks for any tips.

Haven't used Turbocad, but Autocad and Draftsight allow you to create a "block". Use "define block" or "make block". This allows you to select the line segments that are used for a symbol and save it either inside or outside the drawing (so you can re-use it in other drawings). Once created, you can move, drag, delete, etc., or insert the block again in a new location.

Not sure if there is a way to retain the connections of the "wires" between schematic symbols or blocks.

You can also move the entire set of points without making them a block first by selecting the entire set of points by dragging a selection window over them to select the set, then move command. That's useful if you only move them once.

You would have to move the interconnect lines (the "wires) by dragging them separately, or erase and re-draw them.

I'm using nanoCAD and it works the same way.

Try ExpressPCB classic. It is free but they will ask for your email address. It is intuitive and very easy to learn.
It is not necessary to relearn it after a long period of inactivity. I can email you a schematic to use as a starting point.

Yes I did exactly this in about 2006 when working on my RV7A electrical. A DOS freeware copy of turboCad was included with Bob’s book back then. TurboCad was hard to use and awkward for schematic capture. I made it work but don’t recommend it. Newer versions of TurboCad won’t swallow the schematics or part models. I still use the freeware version if I need to change something. When I upgraded the panel I decided to use a spreadsheet instead of a schematic and that was much simpler and produces better documentation, just my opinion though.

I can email you a schematic to use as a starting point.

Joe - that would be great. I'm sending you a PM with my email address. I'm not sure I'll go this route, but I'd like to give it a try. I have some other projects where a PCB-specific tool would be helpful. Maybe I can learn it once & kill two birds.

Thanks!

When I upgraded the panel I decided to use a spreadsheet instead of a schematic and that was much simpler and produces better documentation, just my opinion though.

Brad - that's an interesting idea. Would you be willing to share a copy of the spreadsheet format you used?

Thanks!

Back