What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396 map internal Battery assistance

DennisRhodes

Well Known Member
I think my Garmin 396 has finally lost its internal battery power. Yes, I know its an old unit and so am I ! Its used as a back up GPS and I really enjoy the Xm Wx and music . So,, I'm charging the unit with a 120v cord overnight and then tomorrow will see if it will connect to any sats. The problem seems to be time is in error and I believe that's symptomatic of a defective internal battery.

Is there anyone here on VAF that has soldered in a new battery and would be willing to do that for me? I'm not sure I would be successful at dissembling the unit and replacing. Ive looked at some old post Bobby Hester had provided and believe I will pass on that procedure. Any help appreciated.

GPS

There is a guy in south FL that does repairs. I just bought a 396 from him, no battery or anything else but its completely updated. It was a bargain price and I already have a battery and all the other stuff so I am quite happy. If you search Garmin 296/396/496 on ebay you should find his repair service.
+

GPS

Americangps, west palm beach, ebay item number 183471649278
I don't think I bought my 396 from him.

There was a problem with the software that caused a charging problem with the external battery. Update the software and try recharging. You might get lucky.

-Marc

Good deal

If you do mess it up, you’ll have a good reason to get a new Garmin 660 :)

If you do mess it up, you’ll have a good reason to get a new Garmin 660 :)

I did the B Hester procedure on my Garmin map396 yesterday. All went well and latched up to sats very quickly when re assembled. I notice the time is now staying correct while the system is off. So that internal battery was the problem. It measured 098MV after removal so it was sufficiently dead. By the way I didn't disconnect the Black and White wire plug from the display and the brain surgery seem to still go satisfactory.

Thanks BH for the procedure and write up on how to do this , I would have never attempted without it.

Also I purchased 4 internal batteries just to equal the price of the shipping. I now have 3 left over if anyone want one, let me know. They are P/N SY103-ND, or DiGi Key P/N ML621-TZ1 a Lithium 3v coin style 6.8mm battery.

Good deal!

Thanks to Kelly Patterson for the original post.
Glad the links still work :)

Back