What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing root Air sealing

It seems either my phone or the web server isnt allowing me to enter a search. The text window disappears.

Anyhow, has anyone sealed up the holes between wing and fuselage? I am curious how this was approached to allow for unimpeded movement of controls and flaps....

Here on VT border I need to retain all the heat I can.

Some nylon cloth with a hole in the middle (to go around pushrod). Cut loose enough to allow some movement of pushrod, elastic sewn into hem around the hole to help seal it up against the pushrod. Fabricate a piece of aluminum to hold the edges of the cloth to the hole in the rib when the Al is screwed to the rib (I guess you could glue it if desired). I recall that someone (Flightline interiors?) used to sell these premade but that was more than a decade ago.

Some nylon cloth with a hole in the middle (to go around pushrod). Cut loose enough to allow some movement of pushrod, elastic sewn into hem around the hole to help seal it up against the pushrod. Fabricate a piece of aluminum to hold the edges of the cloth to the hole in the rib when the Al is screwed to the rib (I guess you could glue it if desired). I recall that someone (Flightline interiors?) used to sell these premade but that was more than a decade ago.

Above is a must. I also used silicone caulk to seal up all of the gaps around the main spar opening, as well as the gear leg penetration area. That should stop all of the air entering in that area. I still get a bit of air coming from the tipper, but forward of the seats is toasty in upper midwest winters.

Larry

Back