What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ram air recovery

Capt

Well Known Member
Anyne from the 8 fraternity fitted a Ram Air recovery system?
I flew an F1 once and the owner had a 'Ram Air. Knob on the panel, pulled gace about a 1.5" manifold gain in high speed crz, anyone?

All stock RV-8's have "ram recovery" in one form or fashion.

Sounds like the F1 you flew had some sort of filtered air supply drawing from inside the lower cowl, and pulling the knob opened a butterfly to admit outside, unfiltered air through a horizontal intake. The best known system like that comes from Rod Bower.

There some good threads on ram air recover and induction air in the forum. Here is one from a quick search, https://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=49556

Search ram air.

Also, was your pressure increase due to pressure recovery or removing a restriction? Make sure you know the difference.

While I considered going for one of these during my build, I instead went with a large area filter, deep pleated, rectangular, curving to fit in a one piece air box. This set-up also allowed me to have a built-in alternate air path using centrifugal filtering. It works for me, I see around a 0.3" increase as speed increases from climb to high speed cruise.

Back