What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing 149-12LS with 149-NL Starter

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I'm looking at replacing my 12LS starter with the NL.
Has anyone replaced the NL on a Superior IO360 with the forward induction?
Any gothchas replacing it? I'm outside of my home base & have limited resources.

SkyTek originally said they would cover the LS under warranty. but has since reneged on it. I figured it would be a good time to swap it for the high torque model.

I'm looking at replacing my 12LS starter with the NL.
Has anyone replaced the NL on a Superior IO360 with the forward induction?
Any gothchas replacing it? I'm outside of my home base & have limited resources.

SkyTek originally said they would cover the LS under warranty. but has since reneged on it. I figured it would be a good time to swap it for the high torque model.

Dan,

While my airplane isn't a vertical induction, I replaced my LS with the NL and it was a great upgrade. Very strong starts. Any reason you aren't considering the B&C starter instead of the NL??

Dan,

While my airplane isn't a vertical induction, I replaced my LS with the NL and it was a great upgrade. Very strong starts. Any reason you aren't considering the B&C starter instead of the NL??

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry we won't be enjoying the Beer tasting this year.

I may consider using the B&C, as it appears to be sized closer to the LS. B&C is priced $145 higher than the NL. Quality is probably superior, but the SkyTek had worked for me since 2006.

I have a Superior IO-360 with horizontal induction and cold air sump. When I fit my snorkel I had to cut off the two lower "Accessory Attachment Points" on the Skytec housing, which is allowed by the manufacture. A hacksaw and deburring material take care of the job, but painful to cut into a new, unused starter.

I have a Superior IO-360 with horizontal induction and cold air sump. When I fit my snorkel I had to cut off the two lower "Accessory Attachment Points" on the Skytec housing, which is allowed by the manufacture. A hacksaw and deburring material take care of the job, but painful to cut into a new, unused starter.

Are you referring to points B, C & D, need to be ground down to the case?
7x3hYbH.jpg

Back