What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing Van's Fuel Tank Selector Valve

BMW_X6M

My airplane was completed in 2004. I have a new fuel valve I would like to swap into place for peace of mind. The original valve just doesn't feel smooth in its operation.

My question is how low in fuel quantity do the main tanks need to be to replace the fuel valve?

Probably just needs to be cleaned and lubed. Mine felt like that and I cleaned and lubed it and it works perfectly. Quite a lot easier than reworking the lines if you plan to change it to some other version.

In answer to your question - since it should be at the low point in your system you should take out as much fuel from your tanks as you can drain.

Probably just needs to be cleaned and lubed. Mine felt like that and I cleaned and lubed it and it works perfectly. Quite a lot easier than reworking the lines if you plan to change it to some other version.

In answer to your question - since it should be at the low point in your system you should take out as much fuel from your tanks as you can drain.

I have another valve of the exact same type. Is there instructions somewhere regarding how to disassemble, clean and lube the valve? Thank you!

My -4 valve is mounted just below the top of the center section spar. Any fuel level below ~1/2 tank (both tanks, of course) gets the level below the level of the valve.
If you look at your setup carefully, you can get a good idea of how low the level needs to be, when looking in your fill port. Let's say the bottom of the valve is ~3" below the top of the spar. If the plane is level, that should be 3" below the top of the wing root on the outside of the plane, as well. A level from the fill port to the side of the fuselage will show you how many inches to add to that 3" figure, and the result would be how far down below the rim of the fill port the fuel needs to be.

I replaced mine in 2018. I had to cut out the old lines and had TSFlightlines make me 2 new flexible lines an a new line from the fuel pump to the valve. The new lines are steel prevent from valve to about The first bracket they pass through. I also had to make the holes in brackets larger for the line to fit through. You will also need new rubber grommets for the line where they pass through the brackets. Call Tom at TS flightlines he will fix you up.

I have another valve of the exact same type. Is there instructions somewhere regarding how to disassemble, clean and lube the valve? Thank you!

Take off he handle by removing the center screw. Unscrew the top with a big wrench, and the rest is so obvious you don?t need any instructions. Unless you are changing to a different type (brand) of valve, there?s no reason to replace he body - just change out seals and clean, then re-assemble. Worst case, if you find damage inside withthe moving parts, buy a new valve and sap the moving parts.

Draining fuel is the most time-consuming part of the job, so fly as much fuel out as you can!

Fuel valve

My fuel valve was very stiff. I removed the parts and made sure they were smooth and easy. That was 4 years ago, now I add Marvel Mystery oil to fuel when I think about it and it has stayed smooth ever since.

Back